Thin Print

tsnixon

I'm attempting a 1 mm print for a template, but I can't seem to get the settings properly for Cura to print with the model laid out flat.  As you can see when the model is standing on end Cura has no problem with it, but once laid flat the model Cura just generates a plane.  I've played with all manner of settings but nothing seems to impact it.  I'm using an Ender 3 with the 4mm nozzle.

Template.jpg

Cura-Right.jpg

Cura-Wrong.jpg

What kind of software did you use to generate the STL file?  There are many possible problems - maybe you didn't connect the top and bottom planes with side walls.  Maybe your tiny side walls are facing the wrong way (there is a concept called "normals" which tells the STL file which side of every triangle faces air, and which side faces plastic).

You could try fixing it in netfabb repair services (a free web service but you have to create an account).  Or try using the mesh plugin in cura.  Or you can switch to xray view as that sometimes highlights the problems.

You can also look at the mesh options in cura and try unchecking them all.

Posted · Thin Print
    24 minutes ago, gr5 said:

What kind of software did you use to generate the STL file?  There are many possible problems - maybe you didn't connect the top and bottom planes with side walls.  Maybe your tiny side walls are facing the wrong way (there is a concept called "normals" which tells the STL file which side of every triangle faces air, and which side faces plastic).

You could try fixing it in netfabb repair services (a free web service but you have to create an account).  Or try using the mesh plugin in cura.  Or you can switch to xray view as that sometimes highlights the problems.

You can also look at the mesh options in cura and try unchecking them all.

I used Blender, which I’ve used many times without issue.  Even for more complex designs.  And I understand the concept of normals and recalculate them every time I export the stl.  But you can see, even Cura recognizes the mesh when the model is rotated 90°.  It’s only when laying flat does it have a problem.  I’ll give netfabb a try.  I didn’t think about that.

for blender normals:
    https://www.katsbits.com/codex/flip-normals/

Okay - now that I read the rest of your post you seem to understand normals.

But something is wrong with your model.  I can't tell because the walls are so thin I can't see them.  There may be extra walls that confuse cura.

I strongly recommend you install and run the cura mesh plug in.  It really should be installed automatically by default.

I do this type of thing for printing on fabric a lot and even sub mililmeter. Your mesh is the issue, or intersecting geometry. A simple extrude always seems to work for me, even if its awful from a polygon distribution side of things. Also make sure all your polys/Elements are closed.

Make sure to draw it yourself and don't use illustrators convert to vectors or anything like that. 

Try make it thicker and see what happens you may see something in the mesh, and don't forget you can z scale it in cura later anyway as there is no Z detail only X and Y. Just an idea, good luck either way!

Posted · Thin Print
    2 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

I do this type of thing for printing on fabric a lot and even sub mililmeter. Your mesh is the issue, or intersecting geometry. A simple extrude always seems to work for me, even if its awful from a polygon distribution side of things. Also make sure all your polys/Elements are closed.

Make sure to draw it yourself and don't use illustrators convert to vectors or anything like that. 

Try make it thicker and see what happens you may see something in the mesh, and don't forget you can z scale it in cura later anyway as there is no Z detail only X and Y. Just an idea, good luck either way!

netfabb fixed it for me I think.  It's starting up right now, but Cura seemed to indicate it would work.  It's just strange to me that Cura didn't recognize the mesh from one angle but did from another.  I designed it in Blender with a couple of array modifiers on circles and a boolean diff on a 1mm plane.

Nice glad it worked!

• Like 1