Printing order for features in a 3d print

mikus

Posted · Printing order for features in a 3d print

`Hi there

Is there a possibility in Cura to complete sections of a print before others. I would like to finish the rocket fins sequently to obtain better results.

This is basically my second print and it is done with vase mode, as you can see from the photo the last portion of the rocket fins are affected by stringing/travel?

Sorry i am still a novice to this :)  also is there a way to control print speed for sections as well??

Thank you!

Unknown-2.jpg

That looks pretty good.  A little work with an Exacto knife and some miniature files and it's done.

The answer to the first question is no, because Cura goes layer by layer.  It won't make changes in the Z to finish one area and then drop back down to bring up another area.  It wouldn't know if it was going to crash into something already completed.  It does have the ability to make adjustments if you were to bring the fins in as a separate part.  The body could have one speed setting and the fins could have a different speed setting.  If you have the actual model you can do that.  If your working with just an stl file then I don't believe that it's possible.  What you could do is add an M220 line in the gcode file at the layer where the body runs out and only the fins are left.  If the printer was running at 100% feed-rate you could add M220 S75 and knock the speed down to 75% (or whatever works).

Stringiness can be a function of temperature (too hot), retract distance (too little), material, or even color.  Silver PETG can get pretty stringy while black isn't near as bad.

"That looks pretty good" is an understatement IMHO !!  I've never seen a part printed in "Vase" mode with any details like your fins.  Congrats if this is only your second print.  Perhaps you might try printing a more convention part, but specify zero infill to make it hollow with 3 walls, .2 layer. 6 bottom layers, no top layers, with a .4 nozzle.  Unfortunately, unlike vase mode, you will end up with a "Z" scar somewhere on the side of the part.

I print mainly models of plastic bottles and they are printed hollow.  Don't know if any of this will help you.

Thanks for your replies!

I did found a way to clean the print using stitching feature in Cura.

By the way i used 1.0 nozzle with 1.6 layer width and it looks and works out fine for my purpose.

It took 6.5 hours to print a +- 400 round x 400 height  🙂

Will post another photo once perfected!

Cheers!

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 09.29.41.png