Cura / printer connection problem & strange behavior if generated G code is used in ReplicatorG

frank_muenzner

Posted · Cura / printer connection problem & strange behavior if generated G code is used in ReplicatorG

At first - sorry - for my eventually stupid questions.

At this time i collect my first experiences in 3D Printing so i'm really new in this topic.

I have a FlashForge 3 D printer (no Ultimaker ) but i hope i can ask some questions.

System description

--------------------------

Flashforge dual & sailfish 7.5

Windows 7 64 Bit Professional

Cupcake 13.11

ReplicatorG 40 r22

Makerware 2.3.1.18

In need a long start phase because my machine setup was not correct.

My first printing good results was with replicatorg - but in this software i was not able to put more than one object in the plattform.

Flashforge dual is (more or less) compatible to Replicator 1 dual if i understand it correct.

I would like to use cura - because the software looks nice, intuitive , is open source and because i can more than one object on the platform.

before i can use it , i have to solve this topics:

1. Find a solution why Cura did not recognise my printer:

Problem description:

i could not connect to my 3D Priter in Cura - get a connection timeout

(ReplicatiorG and Makerware can in my system connect)

Because autodetect not find a connection - i choose the

* variant 1 :port manually and try autodetection of baudrate

* variant 2 : port manually and try set baudrate to 115kbaud

did someone had have the same problem and/or find a solution ?

2. If this work it would be nice to print direct from cura - to do it i need a conersation from G-code to x3G format.

This can be done with GPX-gcode-to-x3g - converter correct?

How is the converter to setup ?

in which directory i should install GPX and which setting must be done in cura ?

3. why something crazy things happens if i use the cura generated G-Code in replicatorG?

Problem description - because i was not able to print direct from cura i try to import G-code to replicatorG.

If i import G-Code in replicatorG which was generated in Cura the printer did something strange - move print head to the end of X and Y achses so that the head is stopped by mechanical limit.

At first i think the machine setting was not correct in cura - but this seemed ok.

Eventually the reason is the sailfish firmware or something others.

4. Has someone profiles/setting recommendation in cura for flashforge dual?

If somebody has some informations to solve this topics it would be really helpful for me.

Best regards,

Frank

Posted · Cura / printer connection problem & strange behavior if generated G code is used in ReplicatorG

Which version of Cura?

In cura 13.11 go to "machine settings". I think maybe you have to check the box next to "Machine center 0,0". I think this might fix this:

If i import G-Code in replicatorG which was generated in Cura the printer did something strange - move print head to the end of X and Y achses so that the head is stopped by mechanical limit.

i could not connect to my 3D Priter in Cura - get a connection timeout

I don't know if Cura knows how to print the x3g format - I doubt it. I would stick to replicatorG for the final printing step after converting to x3g. The way Cura detects the baudrate and the way Cura detects if there is a printer is by sending a gcode and waiting for the response. So this will not work with an x3g format printer.

So you should use cura *only* to slice and create the gcodes. Then convert to x3g (binary format). Then print with replicatorG.

Thanks for the answer,

At first i see i have write something wrong in my system description.

I use cura 13.11 not cupcake 13.11.

Thanks for the recommendation to test the "Machine center 0,0" I think it is not activated, i will check if i m back to my living room.

Did someone know how to setup gpx for converting gcode to x3g as postprocess in cura - it can be used as plugin but i did'nt know how to setup cura.....

The machine connection - i think connection should work as minimum.

Today i read a little bit mor about gcode and x3g.... at this time i know x3g is not an expansion of classic gcode...

so if my machine spoke x3g and it get a gcode "hello"comand it would not answer.....

• 2 years later...

Hi Frank, this may not be very useful for your cura but i know that replicator g is a great slicing software, It turns .stl files into .gcode then .x3g, this has a good direct way of connecting to the printer as well. On thingiverse search sailfish and it should be the first option, then follow the instructions to download! hope that that sort of helped