Material not extruding in new S3

jbresner

Posted (edited) · Material not extruding in new S3

I'm trying to setup a new S3 and the material is not extruding well from either nozzle. Eventually some Black Tough PLA, which came with the printer, came out but stopped after a very thin bead appeared. When I try to print something, nothing appears to be coming out now. Is there something simple I'm missing to get this to work?

Here's my setup:

Ultimaker S3

Printcore 1: PLA AA (with Ultimaker Black Tough PLA loaded)

Printcore 2: PVA BB (with Ultimaker Natural PVA loaded)

I've tried removing and reloading the filament and noticed a pretty deep gouge in the area where it was in the feeder (see attached pic). I've also attached sliced Cura file.

IMG_1245.jpeg

UMS3_20mmbox.ufp.zip

Edited by jbresner

Posted · Material not extruding in new S3

When I tried removing the filament and loading it back, I noticed this on the area where it was inside the feeder (see attached photo). Should it look that gouged?

IMG_1245.jpeg

That's not normal.  Typically something keeps the filament from moving and if you keep trying you soon get this at the feeder.

So there seems to be a gouge on both sides but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Again, when I first tried loading either of them, the filament only went through the feeder tube about half way then stopped. i ended up trying to load the filament a second time to get it to reach the nozzle.

Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?

IMG_1246.jpeg

Hi There, 

I would recommend you to clean the feeder and re-adjust the tension. Check the PTFE tube for any damage or filament residue. You can also clen the print core by using the hot oull / cold pull method; just follow the steps on the printer screen (maintenance).

I've never cleaned my feeder but I've been tempted.  Tension should be fine as shipped from factory - I believe it's at the mid point.  I wouldn't mess with that either for the most part.

I think for some reason the feeder couldn't overcome something - maybe the filament caught inside the print head (I usually cut it to a point) or maybe there was a tangle on the spool.

After I've reset everything it seems to be working fine now (sort of). I loaded a new spool of ABS (original spool was Tough PLA) and the ABS had the same problem loading (it didn't reach the nozzle). I unloaded then loaded again and it worked fine. Not too concerned yet but I'll try another spool later this week and see if the same problem persists.

You probably just need to cut the filament to a point before loading.