I think layer 380... might cause problems

Paul-G

Posted · I think layer 380... might cause problems

This was random, it fixed its self when re-sliced.

Would have been an epic print failure if I hadn't noticed, would potentially have damaged the printer.1534728094_PrintFail.thumb.png.4be5a23e801ea5b8278111d91efb9dbc.png

Wow.

Did you save the gcode by any chance?  If so, please post.  I've never seen anyone mention this kind of thing before with Cura.  Ever.  Maybe it's just a display error.

Are you using any plugins?  Like the pause-at-Z plugin?  If you use a plugin for one part and then forget, and slice something else the next day, the old plugin is normally still there and still active.

If you have the gcode and the project hasn't changed then it would be great if you could post the gcode and also the project file.

I did not save the gcode unfortunately I just re-sliced to fix it. Guess that would have been helpful.

No plugins, just vanilla cura. Could be a display error but the preview actually drew the entire layer like that so I wasn't about to risk it.

I tried re-slicing a few times but I couldn't replicate the error.

I've attached the file and the gcode I ended up with after re-slicing, don't know if you can get anything from that.

Back.gcode Drone_Back_Half_fixed.STL

• 3 months later...

Ok it happened again and this time I saved the gcode.

Preview shows layer 377 printing directly on the build plate.

Cura should have been fully updated at the time of each of these errors respectively.

Hopefully this is just a visual bug but I'm not about to test that as it would seriously mess my printer up if the nozzle tried to push through the print like that.

image.thumb.png.8225f585187bee6bbfa5bf7fe97e0278.png

CE5_Skull_Part_01_ZAxis_Bug_At_Layer_377.gcode

I looked at that g-code with a viewer and cannot see the nozzle at bed level on layers around 377 and I don't see those red/green wall lines on the bed either so I am pretty sure that this is simply a Cura graphics issue rather than bad g-code.

I assume that too, it occurs rarely and is fixed by simply re-slicing.

Looks like this issue: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3815

If it is, it is only a visualisation error. Cura does not display the actual gcode in layer view, but a set of specially created "layer data". The error is in the "layer data", not in the gcode.

@Paul-G - it's quite easy to search for the letter "Z" in the gcode as the Z is only moved about once per layer (unless you have z hop turned on) and also burtoogle is extremely competent at this sort of thing.  So I'd say you would have been find to print it.