Infill instead of solid?

Nanclus

Posted · Infill instead of solid?

HI Everyone, really need some help here, please and thank you. I have a model I built in sketchup. Solid as solid as I can tell. All the walls are facing the correct way, etc... see attached picture. When I bring into Cura, depending on the orientation of the model, sometimes it shows solid all good (Vertical), and sometimes it inserts a few layers of what looks like infill (Flat). And its NOT an artifact of the display/software, when I look slice by slice, Cura really does think it has to make top and bottom layers with infill in-between! Why is it doing this?? It should be solid! Why does it "read" solid when vertical but not flat? Obviously I don't want to print standing up but you get the idea.

Pictures and STL and GCODE attached as well if that helps at all?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Jordan

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 7.45.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 7.44.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 7.44.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 7.45.24 PM.png

CE3_baseipadholder_pins.gcode baseipadholder_pins.stl

There are no holes, but there are "internal faces":

image.thumb.png.22ee24b32ec93a8fb38bcff580e00754.png

See the areas highlighted in green. The bottoms of the cylinders and the tops and bottoms of the struts are closed off. If you would (somehow) pour digital water into the top, it would not be able to flow to the bottom beam.

Hi @ahoeben, you are so right! I went into my model and removed those surfaces so, as you put it, the digital water could flow. All slices great now. I love the way you explained that! Thank you so much!!!

So strange that this issue, manifests itself as those layers that look like infill, I would have never guessed the internal faces was the issue!

Thanks so much!

Jordan

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nanclus said:

So strange that this issue, manifests itself as those layers that look like infill, I would have never guessed the internal faces was the issue

This is because Cura gets confused by the model. Cura (or actually CuraEngine) does not look at the whole model from the ouside like we do; it makes crosssections (slices) and then tries to determine what is inside and what is outside. Extra walls like yours make it hard (or impossible) to determine what is inside and what is outside by just looking at those crosssections.