Optimal Setting UM1 for high detail prints

Posted · Optimal Setting UM1 for high detail prints

Hello Ultimakers,

first of all thank you for all the really helpful topics and descriptions in the forum. It helped a lot!!

I was wondering, after experimenting with different options and settings (got some nice prints out) if you guys have a recommendation for setting up HQ prints?

I am building a small homecockpit at the moment and need some fine instruments :)

Thanks for all inputs!

Greetings from Switzerland

When I'm trying to flatout maximize quality I print at 0.06mm layers, 30mm/s speed, and the lowest temperature I can - which depends on the filament. With Printbl/Diamond Age PLA I can print in the 190-195° no problem. With Ultimachine I'm finding it needs to be a bit higher, more like 210-215°. The stock PLA is probably closer to the Ultimachine temps but it's been a while.

The prints take a while, but I generally don't mind - Start the print, go to sleep, go to work, come home to something perfect.

75 micron layers for my best prints. I've done a couple 20/25 micron layers and there just isn't enough resolution difference to justify 3 times the print duration. In fact, I like the surface quality of 75 microns better as it allows for a slightly more controlled extrusion the the insanely small layers provide.

In addition to nick's advice, if you are printing something that has a surface area similar to the same size of the nozzle then you have the problem that the nozzle is pretty much contacting the entire top layer and so the top layer doesn't have a chance to cool. For parts this small it helps to print 2 or 3 of them at the same time so that each part has time to cool while you are printing the other(s).

Thanks for the tips guys!!!

Could I ask one of you to mybe send me a cura mashine setting file? I experimented a lot with the top/bottom layer settings and so on. It would be really good to have something to compare with. I get quite good results out actually but I thin I haven't found the right receipe yet -.- I mean it even prints pretty awesome with the factory settings (high/medium/low) so I am satisfied. But I would like to max it out :)

Any volunteers? :)