Newbe, ultimaker 2 extended

Posted · Newbe, ultimaker 2 extended

Hi all

I have been gifted a Ultimaker 2 extended via my work.  Its not had a lot us use. But not been used for a year or so,  but after I turned the unit on I noticed the plastic bearing assemble had cracked, see attached photo.  I have managed to purchase a new assemble from https://www.makershop3d.com which cost £21.00.  I just wondered if I should also go for the head upgrade once I know it prints ok?  So I turn it into a ultimaker 2 + extended.  I see the cost is about £400 + VAT, which could be a gamble?  Or do I go for a complete alternative 3D printer.

Also what's the best software to download so I can design then printer a plastic assemble.

Your advice would be great.

Regards

Paul 

ultimaker 2.jpg

This happened sometimes on early UM2 machines, mostly with the top part since they were tightened together a little bit too hard for a while. Thankfully the replacement parts are cheap (and would've been covered by warranty when the machine was new).

I would say the extrusion upgrade kit (2 -> 2+) is well worth the investment if you can afford it. Full disclosure, I'm slightly biased since I work for an Ultimaker distributor and reseller, but I don't think we've had anyone that has regretted that upgrade. The 2+ is a great machine IMHO.

Ok, I’ll wait and see how bearing asssembly repair goes.  Then look at doing the upgrade to plus.

can you confirm what software would be best to create designs and then build them for printing? 

regards

Paul

There's not a singular answer to that question since it depends on what you're trying to create and what type of person you are (as in, what type of approach to designing best suits your way of thinking). But for general purpose CAD work, Fusion 360 seems to be the most popular at the moment.