Doodle3D box on UM2

Daid

Posted · Doodle3D box on UM2

For those lucky people with both an Ultimaker2 AND a Doodle3D box.

The following adjusted start and end code needs to be set in the Doodle3D box to prevent the box from pushing the bed into the nozzle (as the default start code assumes the bed homes upwards instead of down, and uses relative moves which are hard to predict)

If you also want to use the heated bed, you'll have to uncomment the M190 and M140 I think. Did not test that yet.

(Note this start/end code should also work on the UM Original, but I did not verify that)

Start code:

M109 S{printingTemp} ;set target temperature
;M190 S{printingBedTemp} ;set target bed temperature
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 ; home to endstops
G1 Z15 F9000 ;move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E10 ;extrude 10mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F9000
M117 Printing Doodle... ;display message (20 characters to clear whole screen)

End code:

M107 ;fan off
G91 ;relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
G1 Z+5.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G28 ;home the printer
M84 ;disable axes / steppers
G90 ;absolute positioning
M104 S{preheatTemp}
;M140 S{preheatBedTemp}
M117 Done ;display message (20 characters to clear whole screen)

As of yesterday, I'm one of those lucky people, so I'll try it on the UM2 tonight! Worked pretty well on the UM1, although I had a heck of a time getting it to play nice on my wifi. That bit seems to need a bit of work, which seems odd really, as thats the bit you can just rely on the underlying OS for.

Worked pretty well on the UM1, although I had a heck of a time getting it to play nice on my wifi. That bit seems to need a bit of work, which seems odd really, as thats the bit you can just rely on the underlying OS for.

Same here.No sign of the Doodle3D WiFi. I checked the FAQ and the advice there of switching the unit on and off eventually made the Doodle3D WiFi available.

The one print that I've done on UM1 worked well.

When I first turned it on, the wifi appeared, but it wasn't giving out DHCP addresses, so I couldn't connect. Power cycling it fixed that, so I could connect from my iPad. I then tried to switch it onto my wifi network, but that repeatedly refused to accept the setting when connecting from the iPad. I ended up having to use ethernet to connect in order to change the wifi setting. Once I did that, I could then connect over my home wifi network, and the Doodle3D had Internet access, so I did a firmware update.

Well, that seemed to reset the network settings, so I had to connect over ethernet again in order to switch it back onto my home network. (Also made more complex because you can't manually enter a wifi network name, so I had to set my wifi network to advertise its SSID before I could initially connect the Doodle3D to it).

Once I'd jumped through all those hoops, it actually seemed to work pretty well, although I'm looking forward to them adding generic gcode sending capability to it.

https://github.com/daid/Cura/blob/SteamEngine/Cura/util/printerConnection/doodle3dConnect.py

GCode sending is work in progress ;-) but the basic code already works. I got some pointers on how to improve a few things here.

The WiFi DHCP not giving an IP is a problem that they discovered at Doodle3D as well. I had Rick over the floor here at UM, and he had a test version with a fix for me. So that update should come soon. The problem lays somewhere deep in the linux system, but they have a work-around implemented for now.

They're also going to update the start/end code for the UM2 and add a proper profile for it.

We are working hard of having a kind of printer profiles system. So that for example the ultimaker2 can have specific start and endcodes.

https://github.com/Doodle3D/doodle3d-client/issues/85

As well as on that DHCP issue:

https://github.com/Doodle3D/doodle3d-client/issues/66

I can't wait until I can print regular prints wirelessly trough the boxes using Cura :)

Let us know how it all works, we of course mostly hear about the problems.

I have to say, it's a pretty fun little gizmo, even in its basic form. I was mostly interested in it for its long term potential as a wireless printer manager. But the actual Doodle part of it is pretty cool in practice. I do think it gives a simple intuitive way for people to be able to create and print meaningful designs without needing 3D modeling skills; I think it will be the centerpiece of my now-traditional holiday-time 3D printer demos. :-)

I upgraded the firmware on the Doodle3D to 0.9.11 which has exactly your code in it.

On the UM2 however you don't see the message on the screen and you can't tune the print.

Also the printhead starts from the left back corner which is very unhandy because you would like to remove the excess filament just before it starts printing like when you print from the SD card when the head starts from the left front position.

It would also be very nice to be able to use the settings on the UM2 because I sometimes print PLA and sometimes ABS. Can that be arranged when you set the temps to 0 maybe?

Bonjour, j'ai commander un doodle 3D.Je l'attend avec impatience.J'ai aussi un mini ipad.Quelle applications conseillez vous pour imprimer avec ma um2?Est il difficile de le configurer, sur mon UM2?Avez vous des conseilles pour moi?

Merçi

Hi Fabrice,

my French is not that good but as I understand it you would like some advice on how to set te Doodle3D up for use with an UM2, correct?

I have very little time right now but when I get to it I will post the start and end codes that I am going to use.

Kind regards, Guy