Multi-Layer/Custom Brim

skysynergy

Posted · Multi-Layer/Custom Brim

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a plugin for Cura that provides multi-layer or custom brim configurations? I'd like to have a much more beefy brim in lieu of a raft for two reasons 1) less material 2) better bottom layer finish.

Thanks!

Rich

• Like 1

First - to answer your question - I strongly doubt such a feature exists.  You can easily add brim in CAD so it's not really a critical feature.

No one in this day and age should be using raft.  Raft was used back in the dark ages of 3d printing.

Are you having problems where parts aren't sticking to the print bed?  If so please watch this video - yes it's long but I tried to pack it with useful information:

Other slicers do support multi-layer brim.  I'd really like to see this in Cura as well.

I primarily print with PETG which has a tendency to warp or pull off the bed. I am also using PEX as my build surface, which generally works well. However, if I just want to print-and-go without worry, the raft it is. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

For me the raft means I would have to spend a long time cleaning the bottom.

I print petg with no raft and no brim.  I use all the remaining tricks in my video above.  I use PVA glue, rounded corners, squish, and heat.  For PETG (printed 4 large petg parts yesterday) I used 82C on the bed.  I put some filament on the bed at various temps and it got soft right at 82C so that was the temp I chose to avoid corners "warping" off the bed.  Parts came out great.  Bottom smooth.

If you want a good raft you might have to use an older slicer.  Cura was started well after the time when PLA was discovered and raft no longer needed (heated beds were well known but not that common yet).  I believe the author at the time didn't really appreciate good raft design.  Other slicers that had been around back before PLA (ABS only) and before heated beds (not many) understand raft better.  Like Slic3r - I think slic3r was created back in the cold-bed-ABS days and raft was the only way back then.

The problem with PETG is that it can stick too well and remove shards of glass from your bed.  That is why people recommend not squishing the bottom layer much with PETG.

Another solution is to use a liberally thick layer of PVA glue stick (just standard office supply or kid's crafts).  If it is thick enough then it won't stick so badly that it spalls the glass.

Just for cross-reference reasons here the link to another thread about the same topic: