Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
lee

not print - a simple redesign

as some of you know ive been working on a ulticontroller clone...

but now the case is too small, i was wondering if someone nice soul could download the file and make it 'deeper' by 10mm approx so the SD card is further away from the face of the unit by 10mm

im printing...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49954/#files

the top.stl file

any takers please

Two thoughts:

1) Modifying STL files for these kind of design changes is notoriously hard in most applications - far better to work from the original CAD files if possible, but this Thing doesn't include those

2) Does anything on the other plate need to change if you make the top plate deeper? Don't any of the standoffs need to engage the LCD board (which is now going to be further away?). Or what about the rotary encoder... doesn't that need to mount higher up now, to still reach the top and poke through?

hi si, yes mate everything will be in the exact same place... i just need the SD hole move further away from the rectangular hole on the printed bottom. i will super glue the encoder to the to the hole in the top ignoring the screw holes anyway

Lee - I imported it into SpaceClaim, and converted it back to a CAD object from the raw mesh, so that it can be edited more easily. moved the front panel 10mm away from the back edge and SD slot, lengthening the sides by that amount, and also cleaned up the corners, where the STL mesh was really rough, and also extended the other three corner screw holes all the way through to the front (only 1 went all the way through in the original mesh).

Attached is the STL - I also have it in SpaceClaim and Step formats if useful for further editing, but can't upload those here due to file type restictions. Let me know if they'll be useful.

If I didn't understand the requirement, just let me know. Now I have the file in a native format, it's easy to make other changes.