What doing Ultimaker?

Roli4711

Posted · What doing Ultimaker?
1059/5000

I have a € 11,000 machine in the office and the Material Station change the Original Ultimaker Breakaway for the first time, an ER57 issue message is showed. I happened to stand in front of the device (at a distance of 50cm) because I wanted to look at such a change work, but didn't touch anything. And this in the middle of a 9-hours-print.

Sorry, but I am increasingly guessing that the software developers at Ultimaker have no idea what they are doing. With each change of print object (or reloading the filament after the old one run out) a piece of filament falls on the glass plate or directly into the print (whether UM material, 3rd party material or breakaway) and then partially destroys the print. I lose a lot of prints (every 2nd since 4 days I have the MS).

Do something to make it work! It is slowly becoming fraudulent behavior what you are doing. Demanding money from us customers, does not provide support (always relegate to an even less knowledgeable distributor (Germany)) and throws a part onto the market that even after the first announcement in September 2019 (!!) still does not work - even after more than 5 months when finally one working firmware came out (December 2019)!

Shame on you!

Guest maht

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @Roli4711. Have you contacted your reseller about this yet? They should be able to help resolve it.

Yes, I did and he also helped me a lot.

But it is exactly this mentality that weewees me off. Always refer to the reseller, although I'm not the only one who has such errors due to the entries in here.

Hey guys from Ultimaker: It's your job to make a working system that you ask for 11,000, not the reseller.

• Like 2

@math

Another small addendum to Ultimaker: If you haven't been able to bring a working version 9 months after the introduction of the Material Station, you definitely don't always have to refer to the reseller.

It's just ridiculous and actually a huge mess.

• Like 1

Hi @Roli4711, thank you for your message. 

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing some difficulties with the material station but we're happy to hear our reseller was able to help you out. That is what they are suppose to do, our network is trained to provide service to customers who need help. The feedback we receive from our resellers and from the community like this, we use to further improve upon our products in upcoming releases.

To get your feedback right: You mention that filament falls on your print after a material change. The Ultimaker should prime some filament to make sure old material is removed and the nozzle is primed, but it should fall next to your build plate. Not on it, and especially not on your print. Do you perhaps have a photo or a recording of this happening? Is it more than a string of filament that make you consider your print ruined? 

As you know, we are working on a firmware version which should help and solve some bugs. We're in the final stages, but the exact release date is not known yet. When more information is available, you'll know immediately. 

Until then, you are welcome to leave your feedback with us and if possible we'll do our best to help you. But please do so respectively and constructively. Everyone here is just trying to help. Here is a link to our code of conduct if you have any further questions about this. We expect everyone to abide to these rules if they wish to participate in our community. Official technical support is still done via our reseller network.

936117555_WhatsAppImage2020-05-26at10_51_34.thumb.jpeg.be49f6074f11b903b10347d05505badd.jpeg

Filament on the print:

With the PC1 (PLA) 10 (!!!) small threads are made. After 3 "prints" from the nozzle, the 3 filemants falls nicely next to the bed. However, the 10th filament string sticks from the nozzle - probably due to insufficient weight - incidentally, this was also the case with the UM Breakaway on PC2. And this one falls often on the glass.

Another question: Why the whole Filament will always taken back after a print has finished? This needs a lot of time and normally, I print the next one with the same material.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-26 at 10.51.56.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-26 at 10.51.35.jpeg

Thank you for your response. Are you using Ultimaker PLA or a different brand?

If such a string would be caught into your print, they can not be removed with a plier afterwards? Obviously, we aim not to have them at all, but since you mention 'destroy the print' that sounds like it goes straight into the trash while it could be cleaned?

4 hours ago, Roli4711 said:

After 3 "prints" from the nozzle,

- do you mean after it switched material 3 times? 

You could try to increase this value in steps of 0,5mm to see if it reduces the oozing you are experiencing.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3e1415906871819884ad4663832e17c.jpeg

It may take a few tweaks to find the value that works best for your print and material. We offer a wide range of filaments and settings, that give you a lot of control. Unfortunately we can't always provide a one size fits all. 

Retracting filament in between print jobs makes sense to have the material station ready for every print job you want to throw at it and keep the filament dry if it sensitive to moisture. Which could seem redundant if you usually use the same material. We have this in our planning to optimise in a future firmware release. Not the first upcoming, but hopefully/most likely the one after. 

@SandervG

Hi Sander

I usually use BioFusion (Extrudr), but I've also tested it with UM Tough PLA. And UM Breakaway also gives the same problems.

I use the printer only through myself and it makes no sense to me to fill and unfill the filament each time. It is really worthwhile that you also consider whether there may be other processes than those you have defined. I usually only print with BioFusion and Breakaway. And this nearly 20-22 hours per day. So it doesn't make sense.

Just an example: If I have to recalibrate after changing the print core, it is not 20 minutes, but 40 minutes. Simply because the material is first loaded (and then it runs out piece by piece) and then the same thing after printing the calibration part when it pull out. Just make a setting that we as customer can set that the material is not always drawn in or out.

Just for info: I'm now on the 2nd filter, which has about 900 hours. The first one I must use - because no filter was deliverable - until 2'983h. In total, I am now close to 4,000 hours that this is running since December 2019. It's not that you only print during the day... You tell us, it's a professional machine: But it isn't.

Roland

Hi, thank you for your comment. 

It is possible that BioFusion has a slightly different composition compared to Ultimaker PLA so a slightly different temperature or retraction distance would eliminate that string you sometimes see. 

I would also like to circle back to your previous remark about destroying prints which isn't entirely clear to me yet. If such a string would be caught into your print, can it be removed with a plier afterwards? Obviously we aim not to have it at all, but since you say 'destroy the print' that sounds like it goes straight into the trash while it could be cleaned?

As I mentioned before; we are considering other use cases, like yours. And that is why we are looking to implement this in a future firmware release. 

And if your filter has expired, you should be able to order a new one with your reseller. This is important if you want to keep the filtering capabilities of the Air Manager in optimal performance. 

Hi Sander

The problem was, that this "fallen"  string was taken on from the printcore and put under the silicon coverage and then scratched the Ultimaker Breakaway. I lost a print core (luckily "already running" for over 50 days) because the material now adhere on the bottom of the print core (total loss).

Another time, I print an object with the surface on the glass plate: A string was there and the whole print was not usuable. Or how I should remove this "wrong string" with a plier, if the surface is scratched? I don't see this string before, because I don't stay all the time near of the printer and take a look. And you know - other Thread about the losing camera feed - I cant check this (another Firmware problem).

Because of the filter: 

My filter was running on February 11th 1'373h since December 2019 (the day the first "running" firmware for Material Station and Air Manager was available) and I asked my reseller wether the Air Manager will still running after 1'500h. At this time, my reseller has no prices or availability date of the Filter and I ordered the first one for replacement. He told me that he would let me know as soon as he got new information. On March 17th the filter was at 2'144h. At the same date I was informed by the reseller that the filters are not yet available and he is eagerly waiting for them. On April 21st (!!!) I got the first filter for replacement. At this time I had 2'872 hours on the old one. So it is not the case that the filter was already available at the reseller. Because the supply chain at Ultimaker or the general reseller is so bad, I naturally ordered another replacement filter right away.

As soon as you provide arguments that counter the statements of Ultimaker, you hear nothing more ...

In addition to firmware development, communication is not so good at Ultimaker.

• Like 1

Hi @Roli4711

Thank you for your message. As I've stated before, please stay constructive and respectful.

I won't keep repeating myself. The entirety of your last message is unnecessarily provocative. My apologies if I didn't respond immediately yesterday.

Now, to the matter at hand. 

On 5/27/2020 at 12:37 PM, Roli4711 said:

The problem was, that this "fallen"  string was taken on from the printcore and put under the silicon coverage and then scratched the Ultimaker Breakaway. I lost a print core (luckily "already running" for over 50 days) because the material now adhere on the bottom of the print core (total loss)

Do you by chance still have this print core, or did you take any photo's? I find it difficult to understand how a single string of oozed filament can damage a print core beyond repair, or scratch the other filament. It is possible in an unlikely event that if your entire print looses adhesion that a blob forms underneath your print core, and this could eventually crawl up in your print head and be harmful for your equipment. But based on your description and the pictures of the prints you have included already, it doesn't sound like that is the case. 

About removing this string, when your print is finished you should be able to cut it with a plier or a little knife if it is protruding. I didn't mean to imply that you should remove it during the print. It should leave little to no marks. Do you have a picture of such a print with a string, perhaps we can provide you with more specific tips to clean up your print?

Do you have it with all materials, or just Biofill + BreakAway? 

And have you also tried slightly tweaking the material profile to prevent the string from happening entirely, based on the screenshot I've sent earlier? 

Please allow me to get back with you regarding the filter. It is true the replacements were not immediately available from the beginning, but I didn't think it took that long. Perhaps there was an additional delay in the distribution. Regardless of what, our apologies that in reality it took that long for you to be able to get the replacement filters. 

Posted (edited) · What doing Ultimaker?

Attached are 2 pictures of the print core and one, like a string attached to the print core (bottom left the "fallen" strings). The problem was that the attached string fell on the print. I wanted to pull this string away by hand, but didn't go because it was already "overprinted". I thought exactly what you wrote: Remove after printing. But suddenly this string was pulled into the gap in the silicone cover, which I hadn't seen anymore. And with this string the breakaway was scratched off the plate and caused a complete "spaghetti print", which then caused this printcore.

I have this problem with attached filaments by UM Breakaway, UM Tough PLA (tested 1 time) and Extrudr BioFusion.

For UM Breakaway I wanted to make the changes. However, the fields are disabled, whereby the values correspond to those that you specified on the print screen. Nevertheless, sometime strings remain on the print core and are then distributed to the plate.

With BioFusion I am still waiting for the information from the manufacturer.

I threw the printed part face down (the string was in the visible part of the print).

PC-01.thumb.jpg.92e81c56adb96bcbed22f724fea21197.jpgPC-02.thumb.jpg.7b71d9754f627f7cc83831f4aaf29114.jpgPC-03.thumb.jpg.94cef6b3bfe8a7d3d5fe644e6b8da060.jpg

Edited by Roli4711
    Text not available, right and left switched

Posted (edited) · What doing Ultimaker?

Well, I should really reconsider buying the big Ultimaker. The support does not seem to be worth the cost.

Edited by Jendrik

1 hour ago, Jendrik said:

Well, I should really reconsider buying the big Ultimaker. The support does not seem to be worth the cost.

Since the Firmware 5.6.8, the results are much better. At the moment, it's OK for me and my UMS5 works very fine. I hope Ultimaker keeps it up. Then it will even be very good 😉

Roland

Hi @Jendrik, welcome to the community. 

With every product that you buy it's possible that you'll need some assistance from the support department or peers. Hence it makes sense that most users come here because they are in need of some assistance, and luckily we also have a lot of expert users who are capable and willing to help. 

So rather of taking the report of an issue as a bad sign, I would look at all the people who are willing to help and the different channels you have as a user to get that help you need. All readily availably. You are free to ask our community of experts, but you can also rely on our partner in your region which we have trained ourselves. 

Hopefully this helps to provide some more context, let us know if you have any further questions. 

3 minutes ago, Roli4711 said:

Since the Firmware 5.6.8, the results are much better. At the moment, it's OK for me and my UMS5 works very fine. I hope Ultimaker keeps it up. Then it will even be very good 😉

Roland

I am very happy to hear so Roland! 👍

On 7/24/2020 at 4:36 AM, Jendrik said:

I wish I could return mine. The machine isn't worth the money if it was half the cost. Avoid. Wait for S6 and then watch it carefully before pulling the trigger.

Hi @tabiznet, thank you for your message. 
    I'm sorry to hear you seem the Ultimaker is not worth the money. It is possible with any type of equipment that you run into some kind of issue that you need some help with, and that is why we have this entire community of 3D printing experts and our official and trained support channels ready for you. If you have any issues we would be happy to help! Please create a support ticket here, or create a new thread in the forum so we can try and help. If you have any questions about print quality, please include pictures too.

Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

Have you opened that support channel recently Sander? I knew it was coming and its greatly appreciated but havent seen it announced nor can I find a way to it appart from your link.

Great news indeed. 👍

Hi @AndersK, we switched to a different tool for our support tickets a couple of weeks ago and it really allows us to work closer with our partners and help our users better. You may have seen it before, but you can also access it via Browse > Official support or Ultimaker.com > Support > Submit a request. 

There is also a whole knowledge base attached. If you are looking for answers that could be a good place to start. You can also rate whether you found the articles useful or not and based on the feedback we can try to improve them.

Frequently reoccurring topics in our community I also pass along to be included in the knowledge base. 

Thanks, I was browsing there but couldnt see the forrest because of all the trees 😉

Found it now