"Select face to align to the build plate" doesn't quite align

gauthier

Posted · "Select face to align to the build plate" doesn't quite align

I love the idea behind "Select face to align to the build plate", but it doesn't seem to go all the way. I noticed that because the skirt on my print didn't go around the whole part, it went through the middle.

The model directly after opening:

Screenshot_2020-05-28_075048.thumb.png.a2a873ee3e544f60ce1e0776bb153a0d.png

After "Select face to align to the build plate", seen from below. The face is not completely red, only half of it seems to be touching the build plate:

Screenshot_2020-05-28_075116.thumb.png.4666e1f0eede5a168e815082621fc2ba.png

After "Lay flat":

Screenshot_2020-05-28_075130.thumb.png.21cd54642b90c06bdaa93e8744ae61da.png

This is how I expect the downward face to look like after "Select face to align to the build plate".

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Cura 4.6.1

I just got a failure when I selected a face on one of the short arms rather than the longer piece. Perhaps the arms are very slightly wonky (technical term) ?

Posted (edited) · "Select face to align to the build plate" doesn't quite align

oh, yeah! I realize now the thin faces were not really parallel! Sorry about that. I guess "Lay flat" chose the largest of the thin faces, and that's why it looked like it worked better.

I think it looks right for you @burtoogle, because it might depend on where you exactly click when selecting the face.

Still, I don't get that "Lay flat" managed to place all the "not really parallel" faces flat on the build plate anyway. It looks right after that.

Edited by gauthier

29 minutes ago, gauthier said:

I think it looks right for you @burtoogle, because it might depend on where you exactly click when selecting the face.

Exactly! Look at all the faces it has to choose from. Can you guarantee that they are all aligned horizontally?

Screenshot_2020-05-28_09-11-11.thumb.png.da47e85a28837b9fc197b78868317ce8.png