Z Offset bugs

Nannyogg82

Posted · Z Offset bugs

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie here and have only been printing for three weeks. So please bear with me if I haven’t given enough info. 

I have a Tenlog TL D3 Pro. I managed to get it all calibrated great with PLA and recently I have been calibrating it for PETG as that will be the main material I’m printing with. I downloaded the z-offset plug in and as soon as I downloaded it I started getting the pictured error. Where prints will shift on the x axis either halfway through the first layer or shortly after. This happens with every model I have tried. 

I uninstalled the plug-in but still had the issue. I’ve tried uninstalling Cura, reflashing the firmware of the printer and still I am getting the issue. 

The only thing I can think of is that the plug-in embedded something in the g-code but as I’m such a newbie to g-code I wouldn’t know what to look for. 

Is this a g-code issue do you think? I’ve checked all the hardware and I can’t see any issues there. 

thanks for your help. 

9099BE78-8A9E-423B-B37B-173CD9EAAE4E.jpeg

F468230D-6880-4DED-A40A-1F924FBFEB76.jpeg

Posted · Z Offset bugs

If only one of X or Y axis shifts it's 90% of the time caused by the printer itself.  Your printer may have worked for a while but something wasn't quite enough.  It's almost always a pulley set screw.  Does your printer have belts and pulleys that move the X axis?  Check them all.  Most especially check the one on the stepper.  Tighten the hell out of those set screws.  If you don't believe me mark the shaft and pulley of all the pulleys.

Also make sure the belts aren't so loose that they can skip a tooth.

Posted · Z Offset bugs

It's not the plugin.  The plugin only affects Z.  Not X.  Besides you removed it.  It's a coincidence that it happened at the same time.  Something is wrong with your printer. 

You can prove it by lowering the jerk and acceleration settings a LOT and it shouldn't lose steps.  Try reducing acceleration and jerk by 3X.  Most marlin printers let you change these values in the menu system.

Or you can mark the stepper shaft and pulley and I suspect you will see that it slipped.  There are many possibilities though - too much friction is another - the X axis when under high acceleration just can't fight the friction and momentum all at the same time.  "belts too tight" can do it also as that can cause lots of friction.  Things rubbing that shouldn't.  stepper driver overheating (automatically these stepper drivers switch off for a fraction of a second if they get too hot).

Posted · Z Offset bugs

I’ll give it a go and see what I come up with. 🙂