S5 stopping printing and filament broken

pineirod

Posted · S5 stopping printing and filament broken

Hi there,

We have an Ultimaker S5.

We haven't used it for a while due to the coronavirus situation and home-office time.

A colleague printed something last week and I also tried on Friday with tough PLA from BASF Innofil 3D

When I arrived today the printing process was paused and asking for more material. The filament was broken at the height of the feeder.

I am guessing maybe too much pressure and maybe the filament not going out of the nozzle. Perhaps the temperature of the print head is not high enough after some time?

Other printouts with normal PLA worked fine.

And these problematic 2 I am commenting started fine, but at some point the problem appeared.

What could it be?

thanks

It could be the filament itself, if it's been left out for weeks on the printer not being used. Try to bend the filament to see if it bends or just snaps. Most PLA filaments you can bend over on to self before it snaps/breaks, if it snaps way before that then the filaments bad what could be down to it being left in a humid environment on the printer.

Hi,

The filament is actually bending a lot, I have to bend it 180º and back to the other side to break it.

I tried with other PLA (not tough) and they snap much easier.

Is it possible water got in and that's why it doesn't snap? because it is softer?

thanks

Being able to bend the filament 180 and back before it snaps is a good thing. So if your able to do that it's a bit odd why it would snap at the feeder. So i would check the filament is flowing out the hot end nicely, because like you say if its not it can make pressure and if the feeder as a good hold of it it will snap it.

What layer height, temp and speed you printing the tougt pla at?

Hi,

Yesterday I was trying to print again to check the settings to let you know here.

I was in the same room when it broke.

It turns out that it broke not at the feeder but like 30cm before. Either it got caught somewhere or the spool was not spinning.

We have a 2.5 kg filament. It doesn't turn very freely in the Ultimaker holder.

I'm thinking about putting some grease (dirty), teflon (if it fits) or making an additional support with bearings or a better turning mechanism.

regards,

Yeah the Ultimaker holder is not designed for big spools, even 1kg ones some don’t fit right and you can not install the filament guide. Would be nice if they made ones that was more able to support other brands and sizes.

i would personally make a swing style with bearings so it can not roll off the bearings.

Yes.

Bearings sounds like a good idea

I just saw in thingyverse one can find the "original" spool holder. But we will do something independent

thanks

2 hours ago, pineirod said:

Yes.

Bearings sounds like a good idea

I just saw in thingyverse one can find the "original" spool holder. But we will do something independent

thanks

Something like this is what you want to design but with bearings, but also need to be careful with some types of filament as if a big spool is to free moving you could unspool off the spool.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4406953

this one i didn't see

it looks very nice

if our workshop has capacity we will try to do something in aluminium

thanks

I've had the same thing, the filament can still be bad, try snapping off 10' or so of the material off the spool and try to print it again.

IF it worked before with the same mounting bracket, no reason it wouldn't know, but i've had off things happen with PLA.

2,5kg is a lot heavier compared to the 750gr it usually needs to carry. If on top of that the spool can't easily rotate that sounds like a recipe for under extrusion or filament breaking. I would recommend to use smaller spools of filament or replace your spool holder (but you would loose the NFC reader).

One could do a replacement holder (3D printed) integrating some bearings.

The question is: can the S5 chassis take the 2,5kg weight?

For now we have taken a small 750gr empty spool and rewind it with the 2,5kg filament

cheers,

I used to put my big 3k spools on the filament holder at the rear, with my PVA in a polybox. Problem was the weight of the spool added a lot of drag so you would get problems with under extrusion or the printer thinking the filament had runout. I have gone back to using 1KG spools on the holder just fine (well apart from can not fit the filament guide part).

I even tired the big 3kg spool in the polybox what as bearing rollers and it was better, but i have gone back to 1kg spools again now as i have moved to using eSun PLA+ and can not easy find that in 3kg size.

So i would defo look at having a bearing system but i would not hang it off the back, as its double the weight the normal holder would take.