UM3 End of filmamant

Posted · UM3 End of filmamant

Inspired by the post Flow Sensor for UM3 I would like to know if there are any widely used add-ons for UM3 that simply pause the build when the filmament is out. I understand that its possible to restart the process and save the model when you stop the build before the filmament runs out. I also understand that the flow sensor on the S3, S5 models is not available to the UM3 and that is also is a lot more complex. It is a feed sensor (analog).

I think a rather stupid digital sensor is already more than helpful. The construction could be a box with a simple microswitch with a roller that runs on the filmamant. The important thing to know is how to wire this digital I/O to the system. I did not find anything in the forum since I am probably not using the right key words. Because I am sure there are many apporaches to cover this issue.

Maybe would be so kind and point out some established solutions.  Or is there a wiki for stuff like that?

thanks,

Tiger

Have you looked at running Octoprint, using a Raspberry Pi running octo print you can create a Fillamentum runout switch and Octoprint will pause the print and notify you.

Posted (edited) · UM3 End of filmamant

Thanks izzy. I looked at Octoprint, thanks for the link.

From what I read, the Octoprint would replace the printercontrol from the standard UM software? That is not what I really want.

But from what I see, there seems to be a way to control the UM3 via the network including stopping. So the easiest and least instrusive thing would be a simple arduino with a switch for each feed and if any contact closes (filmament empty) it would send a pause command to the network.  Are there any projects like that?

edit:

The bits and pieces seem to be there.

* Post about connecting a Switch to octoprint: https://community.octoprint.org/t/filament-sensor-ng/8846

* Post about Cura plugin for octoprint: https://community.octoprint.org/t/cura-octoprint-connection-plugin/5348

Edited by Tigerbeard
    findings

• 1 month later...

One side note, Octoprint is not working with UM3 and newer printers, because with these printers you cannot print via USB, only via USB stick or network.