Missing layer lines/layer shifting

Posted · Missing layer lines/layer shifting

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well!

I have noticed an issue that has been prevalent in many of my prints for a long time. They appear to look like missing layer lines or shifted layers. 

Here are a couple of pictures:1591987149940-789960483.thumb.jpg.88750e385125f8ab636465de901d1c4d.jpgNotice the inconsistencies going horizontally along with 4 faint lines going across the print.

Below is a more prominent example:

1591987880503107339187.thumb.jpg.f6bff65940a4c49fe12281ed443d08dc.jpgNotice the random lines going across the print. 

I also want to clarify that I did check the belt tension and tightened it furthur, but it continues to happen. 

I dont have any idea as to why this is happening, so please feel free to request my slicer settings and if you have any questions, I will be sure to answer them as soon as I can!

Here is a bit of a overview:

Filament: PLA

Bed and Nozzle temp: 60C and 210C

Print speed for outer and inner walls: 15m/s

Layer height that I normally use: 0.15 or 0.2mm

Printer: Creality Ender 3

Thanks and regards!

I get them with Matter Hacker white PLA but not with blue, black, red or gray.  The only exception was when I printed a sailboat hull in white and in vase mode.  I thought it came out well without the heavy banding I'd experienced with the white, but it was really thin walled so I reprinted it in red and .6 line width.  That's when I found out what it was supposed to look like.  

Just out of curiosity are those boat hulls printed in vase mode?

5 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I get them with Matter Hacker white PLA but not with blue, black, red or gray.  The only exception was when I printed a sailboat hull in white and in vase mode.  I thought it came out well without the heavy banding I'd experienced with the white, but it was really thin walled so I reprinted it in red and .6 line width.  That's when I found out what it was supposed to look like.  

Just out of curiosity are those boat hulls printed in vase mode?

The first picture is a fan guard and the second one is the body of the falcon heavy rocket. 

I did not print them in vase mode. 

I have been getting feedback from others that it is an issue regarding the CURA slicer itself and/or the wheels on the hot end being worn down.

What are your thoughts on the causes? 

Rocket was my second guess.

As I said, I really have struggled with white PLA and those banding lines.  I was going to try printing a temperature tower with the white and see if I could eliminate the problem but I ended up using all the white up.  I'm a mechanical guy so as long as it's structurally sound I generally let it pass.  Ain't nobody gonna see it but me anyway.

Has that problem been consistent with other colors?  I believe the white has a lot of titanium oxide in it (to make it white) and that might have an effect on the flow characteristics.  At any rate, right now I'm resigned to the fact that if I print in white the finish won't be good.

If it was Cura I'd have the problem across all colors and regardless of whether it was PLA or PETG.  (In PETG I have the same banding problem with silver too.  Black and red never do it.)

One wheel on the X carriage and two wheels on the Y carriage are on eccentric cams so they can be tightened up.  Whether they are wearing or not they are adjustable to compensate for that.  If the carriages don't wiggle they are good to go.  Mine don't wiggle, my Z lead screw is nice and free and lubed with dry teflon, and I get the banding.

I think it's color related.  I've only used Matter Hacker products so far (they're cheap) and products from other manufacturers may not do it.  I'd try printing the same rocket Gcode file with another color.  You could abort it after 2 or 3 cm since the problem starts right from the get-go.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Missing layer lines/layer shifting

Unfortunatly, I do not have any other PLA filament color other than white. The brand of filament is Geeetech. 

Ill give an update once I do have red or black PLA. (1-2 months)

I am still open to suggestions!

Thank you for the help!

Edit: turns out the problem was me using adaptive layers in cura. Once disabled, prints came out looking perfect!

Edited by TestingIsKey