Finding Nemo Shark Medallion

cloakfiend

Posted · Finding Nemo Shark Medallion

Here is my Take on Takeshi 6ix9ine'sĀ diamond 'Finding Nemo' style shark medallion, such a cool design, had to make one! lol Props to the jeweller Jimmy Phan.Ā 

Just gotta plate this beast now, need more plating solution or a bespoke plating tank! but might just spray it for a change! šŸ˜›

Ā 

Designed so none of the teeth needed internal supports as it would be impossible to get them out after! Very happy with the result and the Acetone smoothing as well! This one did need infill though due to the open mouth cavity! Haven't used infill in aaaages for art. But it really does help acetoned models from splitting a lot.

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, print quality and smoothness is impressive, especially the teeth.

Ā 

Did you use supports for the fins? I was trying to see in which orientation you printed it, but I can't see the layer lines.Ā Ā  :-)

Ā 

The color, is that colorFabb's translucent orange?

Ā 

Its printed like you see it. Flat, because of the teeth. I didnt want any support on the teeth at all because there is no room to remove them. Just auto support which i find to be ok on stuff that lies flat.

The back. I have an amazing burring technique to rid the support material really really quickly, and can clean up the wholw back in under 5 mins, im maimg a video to show how!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_4870.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Finding Nemo Shark Medallion

And today i applied a chrome paintjob, im a bit tired of plating for now. Its a big bigger than my jar so will be a pain. Just chromed it up instead. Mirror finished are very unforgiving and i rushed it a bit and touched it too often whe is was wet needing to keep respraying it. I decided to leave it after the third coat and just accept it as it was.Ā 

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6609.JPG

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 2

Looks good. The "cold" metal suits this model.

Ā 

Instead of plating, have you ever tried automobile "chrome" painting sprays? Not the "metalic" sort with little flakes, but the real "chrome" look spray-cans? The sort that is used on car bumpers, wheels, and decorative chrome stripings? I have seen it on model cars, but I have never used it myself, so I don't know what preparation is required, nor how well it withstands bending, temperature, weather, etc. Migth be worth trying on a scrap piece.

Ā 

Nice mod! I think I will suggest it to my customers for having smoother print on X - Y axis

Ā 

• Like 1

As always with your work, very impressive!

The chrome look is fantastic and nobody thinks it is 3D printed.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

What paint did you use?

Cant believe i havent replied to this already. Its called Mirror by Stuart Semple!

Need to check my inbox!

• Like 1

I gotta tell you, that simple answer gave me the best "follow the link" set of information I have had in a long while. šŸ™‚

Found the paints and saw some really cool stuff as a result. Found a great tutorial on how to use it, found YOUR really great review of products šŸ™‚Ā I now know what I need to save up for (besides filament LOL) with the very interesting paints he has made.

Ā 

Really had to laugh at the way he got to making some of his pigments in respect to Anish Kapoor's shenanigans.

Ā 

Have you tried to 'tint' the chrome so you can get some niceĀ  colored 'chrome' (like a shiny Christmas ornaments)?

Ā 

Also, did you smooth it first or was just a really good print you painted?

Hi Kman! Happy to help!!, the model is just smooth after due to the acetone and final touches with sand paper. I didntĀ  even use an undercoat, id recommend using black or something dark.