Jump to content

UM3 prints well with AA0.4, not so with AA0.8... ?


Recommended Posts

Posted · UM3 prints well with AA0.4, not so with AA0.8... ?

I am at a loss here, hope someone with better knowledge than me has some advice.

I am trying to print with an AA0.8 print head at 0.2 and 0.3 mm layer height to speed things up but the results (surface finish) are pretty bad.

Everything is fine when I swap in an AA0.4 print head.

I have tried to print with Inofill PET and Polymaker PETG with the same awful result. I have mostly used PET/PETG materials before, with good results.

I have tried the factory recommended settings for both and have varied temperature, print speed, fan speed and flow rate, one at a time. Things monstly get worse, so the recommended settings are probably fine, they work for 0.4mm, so no surprise really.

I have cleaned the nozzle, pull looks good. I have dried the filaments and I have tested both head positions. I can't see or hear anyting strange with the extruders.

I have not used this print head much since I got it, I never got it to work well and thought I needed to spend some time on it to get it right. Well now I have spent quite a lot of time...

In close up it looks to me like some kind of inconsistent extrution or as if something moves around. I have looked for something loose but can't find anything strange.

What am I missing?

The tube on the left is 0.4, on the right 0.8.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · UM3 prints well with AA0.4, not so with AA0.8... ?


    I found this article:


    And followed the suggestion to disable compensation of wall overlaps. There was a considerable improvement. I also set Z seam alignment to "shortest".

    I could then lower the temperature from 233C, which was the best looking before this change, all the way down to to 215C which is more in line with the factory suggestions for Innofil. That seems to be the sweet spot. I could also crank up the speed to 70mm/s which makes the switch to 0.8mm really worthwile.

    In other words, I was really on the wrong track, There was no issue with materials, mechanics or print cores, the problem was with Cura (4.5) and obscure settings...

    The prints now have a surface finish good enough for my use.

    Thanks to hazedav and iccherry for their work in solving their similar issues.

    I am really happy to leave this behind me...


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

        This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features
        Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
      • Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released
        Cura now supports Method series printers!
        A year after the merger of Ultimaker and MakerBotQQ, we have unlocked the ability for users of our Method series printers to slice files using UltiMaker Cura. As of this release, users can find profiles for our Method and Method XL printers, as well as material profiles for ABS-R, ABS-CF, and RapidRinse. Meaning it’s now possible to use either Cura or the existing cloud-slicing software CloudPrint when printing with these printers or materials
        • 48 replies
    • Create New...