UM3 active leveling always set nozzle too high from bed

Posted · UM3 active leveling always set nozzle too high from bed

I was having trouble printing with "extra fine" setting (default, with brim, PLA)

The print would always fail from start because the brim wont stick well to bed.

it wont happen often when the i print with "fine" or "normal" setting.

After a lot of experiment, I discovered that the print will work just fine if i do not do active leveling and only do manual leveling instead.

To a closer look, what seemed to be the problem is that after active leveling, printer will adjust and brings the nozzle too high from bed so that the brim wont stick, and this has been a problem especially when i am printing with "extra fine" since the layer was supposed to be even thinner. This also seemed to have explained that why this happens less when i print in "fine" or "normal" settings.

Is it me or this a normal phenomena? I am now printing with active leveling completely disabled and the prints work okay so far, as long as I dont let the machine do active leveling.

I have the opposite situation, on my UM3, the nozzle is always to close to the bed with active leveling. I solved this by using Z-offset (Cura plugin). Maybe you can try that? 

2 hours ago, RudydG said:

I have the opposite situation, on my UM3, the nozzle is always to close to the bed with active leveling. I solved this by using Z-offset (Cura plugin). Maybe you can try that? 

ah great idea i will look into it. Am curious if something is wrong mechanically with the active leveling that causes that.