Cura gets slower the longer its open

RyanDavidson89

Posted · Cura gets slower the longer its open

Hi,

Ive had this issue on a few version and multiple PC's that Cura seems to keep increasing the resources until its unusable and need to be reopened.

I've attached pictures of the task manager of when its first opened and then after about a day. After a few hours its noticibly sluggish.

Even after an hour of been open its from from the 0.3% CPU usage to 3%.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

PC im currently using:

i7-6700

32gb ram

quadro p4000 gfx card

Cheers

Capture.PNG

cura 2.PNG

13 hours ago, nallath said:

Are you logged in? Did you try disabling the um3network plugin? Do you have the octoprint plugin? Did you use camera streams?

Was not logged in for this one, but have in the past with same issue. Not using octoprint, but do access webcam through cura connect.

Ill try disabling the network plugin and see how it goes.

Posted (edited) · Cura gets slower the longer its open
    On 7/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, nallath said:

Are you logged in? Did you try disabling the um3network plugin? Do you have the octoprint plugin? Did you use camera streams?

Hi Nallath,

Looks like that plugin was the issue. I left two instances of cura open overnight, one with the plugin disabled and that one is working fine but the otherone is using a lot of resources again.

Any fix for this at the moment?

Cheers

Edited by RyanDavidson89

I have the same exact issue with Cura using too many resources until the computer is unusable.

I have installed Cura 4.6.1 on multiple windows 10 machines in a lab setting as well as my own laptop. All computers experience the same problem.

I have to load my model, send the print job, and then exit Cura. I cannot leave cura running for more than 5-10 minutes since it will become unusable.

@alkekmakerspace, to identify and hopefully fix the problem it helps if you at least answer the same questions as asked above:

On 7/7/2020 at 9:25 AM, nallath said:

On 7/9/2020 at 4:08 AM, ahoeben said:

@alkekmakerspace, to identify and hopefully fix the problem it helps if you at least answer the same questions as asked above:

Logged in on my laptop, not logged in on the other 4 windows 10 installs that I tried. Disabling the UM3network plugin seems to stop cura from using too many resources, but that also stops the ability to print over the network. We do not have octoprint. The camera streams are active, but they go in and out. I rarely connect to them.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, nallath said:

Hi @nallath, im still getting the gradual slow down of cura when the um3 network plugin is active. Is there any fix for this, as i need it to send prints to my s5?

Cheers

10 hours ago, RyanDavidson89 said:

Hi @nallath, im still getting the gradual slow down of cura when the um3 network plugin is active. Is there any fix for this, as i need it to send prints to my s5?

Cheers

We're having issues reproducing it. It doesn't happen for everyone, so that also makes it very hard for us to find out what is causing this.

Posted (edited) · Cura gets slower the longer its open

@nallath Python Zeroconf is again a likely offender. OctoPrint plugin includes and uses a newer version of it, which fixes at least one memory leak. The OctoPrint plugin also has an option not to use zeroconf for discovery at all, which could be an option to give the people that are affected by this issue (relegating them to manual instances).

Edited by ahoeben
    • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ahoeben said:

@nallath Python Zeroconf is again a likely offender. OctoPrint plugin includes and uses a newer version of it, which fixes at least one memory leak. The OctoPrint plugin also has an option not to use zeroconf for discovery at all, which could be an option to give the people that are affected by this issue (relegating them to manual instances).

Yeah. I think so too. I will bring it up with the team again.

FYI, OctoPrint plugin uses 0.25.1, which includes this fix that is not included with the version that Cura ships with for UM3NetworkPrinting:

https://github.com/jstasiak/python-zeroconf/commit/eac53f45bddb8d3d559b1d4672a926b746435771

But that shouldn't cause that much of a memory issue. A few hundred (even thousand) of empty lists shouldn't be that big of a problem.