How to remove a print profile setting override !?!

Link

Posted · How to remove a print profile setting override !?!

Hi,

I was making some changes to the retraction settings in one of my print profiles and without thinking pressed save, now the retraction setting is not taken from the material profile and permanently set with this override value, how do i remove that override behaviour and have it take the value from the material profile again ??, i cant see how to do it, the setting is now shown in italic to show its been overridden but i cannot go back !?

Posted (edited) · How to remove a print profile setting override !?!

Normally when you edit a setting it goes italic and you will see a arrow just infront of the imput box for the settings value, even if you pick to keep settings when you charge material profiles.

Do you see this arrow like this?

434379982_Screenshot2020-07-08at09_20_44.thumb.png.185b82962292e8e83258bbd30e145fb5.png

Edited by Carla_Birch

agree, yes, you get this until you hit save, once you do that it gets locked into that profile, and i cannot see a way to undo it 😞

16 minutes ago, Link said:

agree, yes, you get this until you hit save, once you do that it gets locked into that profile, and i cannot see a way to undo it 😞

I'm not sure where you are/have hit "save" because the only "save" i get it to save a project

Or did you mean this part?

815166845_Screenshot2020-07-08at14_19_17.thumb.png.2a986c8c4585b2790d727f40046169fe.png

Because if you mean that, then it's in the general preferences for cura under the dropdown for profiles.

1083252880_Screenshot2020-07-08at14_21_42.thumb.png.27b5695429d5b5213788c41a1465a7f5.png

1823186239_Screenshot2020-07-08at14_23_16.thumb.png.f824c73f476b23150cfc5a1b56c4cc32.png

you are talkiing about chaging to a new profile again without saving the changes, when you make a change, you get a star next to your print profile, hit that and you get this

1129387256_Screenshot2020-07-08at14_25_47.thumb.png.7e430cd1ecbd1a0ff1b50c4b24959f44.png

then you save the changes by updating your print profile

Aww right, i don't think you can "undo" any edits to that when you save, I'm guessing it's a custom profile you have saved, because for the default profiles for me anyway the save is always grey out so you can not overright the default profiles.

Do you have any cura backup's saved you can roll back to?

yes, that was my only option to restore from the backup, seems like a gap to not be able to restore that link to an overridden setting.

I know, old thread and all of that, but there is an awkward workaround to this huge flaw in Cura.

1. Update the profile with the setting tweaked. (Update profile with current settings / overrides). This is important for step 5.
    2. Go to Help --> Show Configuration Folder
    3. Close out of Cura.
    4. Open the "quality_changes" folder.
    5. Sort by date, and you'll see your latest changes in one of the files, if you open the last changed file.
    6. Open that file in notepad and search for the value that you changed. (i.e. 205 if you changed your standby temperature to 205).
    7. Highlight that entire line and delete it. 
    8. Save the file
    9. Open Cura. Voila, that override setting is back to not being overridden. 

This would be such a simple flaw to fix. I see constant comments about it, and the devs never seem to think it's a flaw or bug. But, really, that's about the only way to undo an overridden setting. 

• Like 1

I agree that the fact that you have to use this workaround is incredibly awkward. I have created this feature request to make it possible to remove print settings profile overrides directly in Cura.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to remove a print profile setting override !?!

These dialogs are THE most confusing aspect of Cura (or any other piece of software I've ever used).  The buttons and text are so confusing, that you have to read them every time they appear.  And even then the relationship of the button location to the context is illogical.  At the very least position the button under the column/data they refer to.

Not to mention, the popup is always disabled for me.

Screen-Shot.jpg

Edited by tiw
    • Like 1

Could be easier you are right and there are a lot of users which have the feeling the dialog is more confusing than helpful. But personally I have absolutely not problems with it. The profile on the left, on the right what is currently different from the profile. The keep and discard in relationship to your changes are logical (for me).

Maybe it would be easier to use buttons directly below the rows of settings and you just click which one you want to use.