Travel - Retract at layer change.

j_keiter

Posted · Travel - Retract at layer change.

When I look at gcode it appears the layer change(move in Z) occurs before the retraction.  FYI Z moves are relative mode.
G0 F600 X143.508 Y149.923 Z0.8
;TIME_ELAPSED:18.152899
;LAYER:1
G1 F4800 E-6
;TYPE:WALL-INNER
G1 F4800 E6

Since my printer has a very slow Z move, I'm getting a blob as Z moves to next layer.  I want retraction to occur before Z move not after.  

Thx Jason

No, that's not how current Cura is coded. It does the retraction before the z change.

What version of Cura are you using?

Could you please provide a complete gcode file rather than just a snipped. Thanks.

Complete Gcode file attached.  LAYER:5 LAYER:9 LAYER:19 and possibly more do retraction after z move.  Other layers are correct.

;FLAVOR:RepRap
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.6.1

Arm.gcode

Thanks a lot for the the gcode file, I can see where it's not retracting and that doesn't look right. Could you also please provide a project file for that print? Do File->Save and attach the .3mf file to this thread. Thanks.

Ah, I think I know what the problem could be, looking at the gcode for the missing retraction just before LAYER:5, the distance travelled is less than the value of retraction minimum travel so the retraction doesn't occur. A workaround would be to reduce the value of that setting.

Could you still please provide the project file, thanks.

The UM devs changed the behaviour fairly recently so that Cura never generates a retraction when the travel distance is less than the minimum travel distance setting. This is true even when retract on layer change is set. Maybe there is a case for allowing the retraction in that situation to help with the slow z change.

Burtoogle, you are correct.  The 'Retraction Minimum Travel setting at 6mm was preventing the retraction from occurring prior to z move.  I reduced to 2mm and Layer 5 was now correct but Layer 9 was still wrong since it had an even smaller travel move than 2mm.  "Maybe there is a case for allowing the retraction in that situation to help with the slow z change."   You nailed it.  Wish I knew how to do this.  .3mf file attached.  

arm.3mf

I don't think there's anything you can do to alter the behaviour. I have modified the slicer so that it will force the retraction to

occur on that last travel move and sliced your project, I attach the gcode, could you please print it and let me know if it is good. If so, I will submit my changes for the UM devs to include in a future release (if they approve).

CFFFP_arm.gcode

I'm still getting a big blob as shown in pics attached.  I still think you should ask developers to make change to allow retraction before z move.  Sadly I must have some other issues that prevent me from giving you proof of fix.  Sorry!

20200710_144015.jpg

20200710_143812.jpg

Lowering the print speed will help a bit with those bumps in the photo.  Also make all the print speeds the same speed (I think there are 7 printing speeds) but keep the travel speed fast.

More important than the printer's Z speed is the Z acceleration.  I read a good article about increasing Z accel for my old printer and it really helped a lot.  I kept increasing accel until it would skip and then I backed off by about 50%.  now Z changes are so fast it's like a "click".

My print speed was too high based on www.printitindustries.com/pages/print-speed-calculator.  Travel is 120mm/s.  I already had increased Z acceleration and increased Z jerk to just tolerable.  Retraction was and is scary fast.   Still not printing very well but it appears the blob on sidewall is gone.  It appears the retraction after z move was not an issue after all.  I still think cura should fix though.  

20200711_160801.jpg

20200711_162031.jpg

20200711_160825.jpg

6 hours ago, j_keiter said:

I still think cura should fix though.  

I have submitted a fix to the Cura devs and they will decide whether to incorporate it or not.