S5 Material Station Filament Runout

mvr

Posted · S5 Material Station Filament Runout

I may just need clarification on how the Material Station(MS) works, but I assumed the entire spool would runout prior to switching to the next spool in a different MS bay.  It seems the sensor for filament runout is at the point of entry of the decoupler on the MS.  The result is about 45 grams of retracted filament before it switches to the next spool.  Is this the intended design or possibly a setting which can be modified?  Although a small amount of material, I'd like to get to the point of not wasting as much as possible.

NOTE: I experienced this at the start of a job and not in the middle, so maybe this is a mute point if the material runs out in the middle of a print job...?

Thanks.

The filament runout sensors in the Material station are just before the prefeeder in the Material Station so the remaining filament can be retracted back into the Material Station compartment.

As you realized there are about two meter of filament left which you can e.g. perfectly use for performing print core cleaning.

No, due to the 6-to-1 junction in the material station feeding goes only in one direction. The feeders on the printer are responsible for continuously feeding material through the print cores while the prefeeders in the material station work in steps and make sure the main feeders always get enough filament.

1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

No, due to the 6-to-1 junction in the material station feeding goes only in one direction.

Thanks for the answer. This explains why he loses so much filament when changing.

Because it is due to the system.

2 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

As you realized there are about two meter of filament left which you can e.g. perfectly use for performing print core cleaning.

This only works with PLA 😉

12 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

This only works with PLA 😉

With the print core cleaning wizard, yes. But you can also do manual cold pulls by adjusting temperature manually and then you can also use other filaments.

Sure, but I count that to the things that are not fun at all.
    Better to distribute the tip in the future. "Get a 3Doodler" or "Braid yourself a basket"

Regardless of it being fun or not, it can be a useful way to purpose those last pieces of filament. Or don't. That is up to the user. But it is an option at least. 

I may have expressed myself indistinctly.
    In my world (development and manufacturing), not having fun is having a problem.

The note is still missing that not every filament is suitable for cleaning.😉