Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
UlrichC-DE

S5 Reinforced Filament

Posted · S5 Reinforced Filament

I am looking for a reinforced filament that is supported by the S5 bundle.

Does anyone have a idea or recommendation?

Hi,

That’s really is down to what you need it to hold up to. Is a wide range out and some are good in one and weak in another.  

Eg do you need shock load, or hold up to heat. Does it need to flex a little or be ridged.

Hello

Thank you for your answer. My question has to sound like I'm looking for what, just don't know what. Fortunately, it's not quite like that 🙂

In most cases, only a temperature resistance of 120° Celsius. For a mechanical component.
In the current case, a stable housing next to a warm high-pressure line is required. The environment is outdoor,very dirty/oily and damp. PA only is too soft.

I use ColorFabb PA-CF on other printer. This can be printed very well. The surfaces and are very good and the finishing is easy.
Unfortunately, the printer's (converted UM2) workspace is too small. I therefore print the housing in several parts. This is time consuming and does not look particularly good afterwards. It doesn't look nice afterwards.  It will be painted.

On the bundle I tried to load ColorFabb XT-CF20. When choosing, I get ER64.
I don't know if it is technically possible with the material station.

If there was a material that is direct supported by the material station. I buy and test it.
If the material station is not built for abrasive filaments, I leave that.

Otherwise I can try to configure it for the material station.

I have not found information about it

Hi @UlrichC-DE, as you can see via this link we have 14 reinforced material profiles supported by the Pro Bundle. All from reliable brands. I've heard good reviews on Novamid and NylonX. Hope this helps. 

Looks like we responded at the same time! The Material Station can handle reinforced material, but it does require a specific profile. You can visit the Marketplace and play with keywords to find a material that matches what you are looking for. If you had good experience with Colorfabb XT-CF20, perhaps Clariant PA CF20 is something to consider? It has an optimized profile for the material station. 

You can also find the technical data sheet and print guidelines via that link. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks, the links are helpful!
Fine. It also says whether it is supported by the MS (yes / no).

I had only looked for profiles through Cura. Unfortunately it is not written there whether it is suitable for the material station.

I'm trying to get some of these materials. Let's see what I can get in normal trade in Europe. 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UlrichC-DE said:

I had only looked for profiles through Cura. Unfortunately it is not written there whether it is suitable for the material station.

Yeah, that's something that is pretty high on our backlog.

Just FYI.

The marketplace in the browser is also not always up-to-date.

The Ultimaker filaments do not support the Material Station there for example.
https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/UltimakerPackages/UltimakerNylon
https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/UltimakerPackages/UltimakerPLA
https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/UltimakerPackages/UltimakerTPLA
They are: Optimised for Material Station: No

Hi, 

That is correct. It is also the case for other UM materials. Due to a technical error these pages can't be fixed right now but the profiles are optimized for the Material Station. So you can use them if you wanted to. It is still some time ahead, but around September that it is scheduled to be updated correctly. It can't be done manually via a CMS or something.