Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
George2020

Best way to print shell with a hole (to fill print with plaster afterwards)

Posted · Best way to print shell with a hole (to fill print with plaster afterwards)

I was wondering if there was a way to leave a (for example square) hole in the bottom of your print, so you can pour in plaster afterwards to make the object heavier (using gyroid infill so it can go everywhere)

Tried to do this with a cube with "modify settings for overlap" and setting it to 0 bottoms.. but the object still ends up "closed" but with a cube shaped cutout.. is there a simple way to do this? You can always adapt your model to have a hole and an "inside" of course, but thats a lot of bother when all you need is gyroid infill + and a hole. So.. dremel it?

Posted · Best way to print shell with a hole (to fill print with plaster afterwards)

I'm curous too as I suspect the answer may help me. I want to "not print" the top 30 mm of my project. Just to test something. it isn't worth doing the cad work. Simply being able to block printing of the primary filimate. Like blocking support material from printing. Only I want to block normal material from printing. Sounds like just what you want to do too.