Best way to print shell with a hole (to fill print with plaster afterwards)

Posted · Best way to print shell with a hole (to fill print with plaster afterwards)

I was wondering if there was a way to leave a (for example square) hole in the bottom of your print, so you can pour in plaster afterwards to make the object heavier (using gyroid infill so it can go everywhere)

Tried to do this with a cube with "modify settings for overlap" and setting it to 0 bottoms.. but the object still ends up "closed" but with a cube shaped cutout.. is there a simple way to do this? You can always adapt your model to have a hole and an "inside" of course, but thats a lot of bother when all you need is gyroid infill + and a hole. So.. dremel it?

Posted · Best way to print shell with a hole (to fill print with plaster afterwards)

I'm curous too as I suspect the answer may help me. I want to "not print" the top 30 mm of my project. Just to test something. it isn't worth doing the cad work. Simply being able to block printing of the primary filimate. Like blocking support material from printing. Only I want to block normal material from printing. Sounds like just what you want to do too. 

• 3 years later...

i have been searching for this too. Maybe one solution would be to design a boss on the surface you want to fill from, have the boss att the top when printing and pause/stop the print at the last layer before the boss

Create a cutting mesh (here's one example of where I posted a tutorial) that's the size of the hole you want to make, then in Per Model Settings, click Select settings and find Wall Line Count, Top/Bottom Thickness and Infill Density, set the first two to 0 and the density to whatever you want:

image.thumb.png.8449ef11fd6e4251f2ad0456553d12f7.png

It basically makes the area inside the cutting mesh a different object. In this case, an object with infill, but no walls or top/bottom.

(The walls and yellow skin beneath it are part of the main model)

@kayakbabe probably a bit late now, but if you want to delete the top 30mm entirely, make the cutting mesh cover that area and set all of those values to 0.