S3 Ext calibration problems.

12much

Posted · S3 Ext calibration problems.

Hi All,

I'm encountering calibration problems. I tried to calibrate manually, but at the moment I need to adjust the gap with the calibration card I'm confronted with a gap>4.0mm. For the record: when calibrating automatically, the endresult is a message to check my nozzle or the buildplate. the glass plate is shiny clean and the nozzle is empty and clean. Reading and searching for similar problems/topics with solutions, is not getting me very happy with all of the SW problems. And even when I want to load an older version it seems not to be possible, is it?

I realy need the S3 in working modus at the moment, so I ordered a new mainboard and displayboard for de S3. Where can I find an older SW version like SW5.7.3?

Or is there another version from wich it is possible to upgrade later if the latest version will be stable?

Tnxx guys& gal's

You talk about bed levelling right? And what do you mean with "gap>4.0mm" ?

Did you run the level sensor diagnostic from the menu? This would be important if the result is ok or if you get an error there.

BTW the latest firmware runs fine without any problems, so I don't think it is firmware related, but step by step.

@Smitty

tnxx. The error existentiële after automatic leveling. 
    the big gap while levering manual. This was never A problemen earlier. The story in pur Fablab is that the problems exist after upgrading the SW. 

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Did you run the level sensor diagnostic from the menu? This would be important if the result is ok or if you get an error there.

please run this test....

11 minutes ago, 12much said:

the big gap while levering manual.

But which gap do you mean? Where exactly do you see or get this big gap? 

I'll run the level sensor diagnostic tomorrow, (won't be home because I'm at the Fablab tonight). 

I'll also run the manual leveling and make pictures from the proces. There is a moment where I'm asked to make use of the calibrationcard. At that moment, the gap between nozzle and buildplate is more than I can adjust . there is still more than 4mm to go before I reach a gap of 1.2mm.

When you run the manual levelling, in the 1st stage you adjust the build plate to approx. 1mm above the glass. The process starts in the back and there you move the bed via the touch display. The 2 front corners are adjusted by the screws under the bed. In the second stage, it is the same, just with the calibration card. So the in the back you adjust with the touch screen (you can fine tune it with the screw) and in the front you adjust only with the screws. 

Maybe you did the levelling a little bit different?

Before you start with the levelling, check that your bed screws are not too tight and not too loose. Adjust the bed to something like this on the photo, maybe a little bit lower, I am on the upper limit with my bed, but too lazy to change it. 

IMG_1161.thumb.jpeg.310cac21c24b60bce6ae786099deaddd.jpeg

When you look straight at the front, you should see a small gap, maybe 1mm less than here on the picture.

please run this test...

So I did....

De sensor werkt matig. Bij problemen met actieve kalibratie gaat U naar Ultimaker.com/ER45

So...things to check this evening:-) like on the following redirected adress:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011576000

Smitty, thanks for the tip. this looks promessing:-)

When you get low performance, then your bed is too low. Turn the 3 screws to get it a little bit higher.

If you get interference detected, then chances are high that there is a connection problem with the sensor cables. 

Also if it looks like this on the picture, there can be problems with the connection. I had a similar problem and got the interference problem and soldered the two wires to the sensor board -> error gone!

I don't think soldering is needed, but maybe pull and push carefully with needle pliers on the two cables. If there is a contact problem this could also help.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbf8569a4d979104853b28be57eb8af4.jpeg

But interference errors can also come from "outside" our printer, other electric devices or something like that. In my case I tried everything, but it was the connection to the board itself.

I took a bunch of metal plates, 1.0mm each and stacked them before performing the test again. The head didn't collide with the plates so the sensor is working in some way.FYI: I couldn't adjust a smaller gap with the screws that's  why I used a stack of metal plates. Altering the wires didn't help so next I'll dismantle the unit and solder the connection on the board ...

to be continued