UM S5 stepper motor temperature

rmerlo

S5 stepper motor temperature  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Can you keep your finger on the S5 X/Y steepers for more than 2 seconds while it's running?

• Yes
    • No

Posted (edited) · UM S5 stepper motor temperature

I casually touched the steppers for the x and y axis on the S5 yesterday and they felt really hot, to the point you can't keep your finger on them for more than a couple of seconds.

Is this normal? I don't remember other printer's motors getting this hot. 

Printer is fairly new and the axis don't feel any harder to move than other printers.

Cheers,

RM

Edited by rmerlo

Posted · UM S5 stepper motor temperature

Hi rmerlo,

In general if you can hold your finger at two second, it's quite normal I'll say..

This also depend of the length and temp setting of your printer while printing your object.

Back then, these stepper motors was very hot and you could easily burn your finger if you touched it.

Thanks

Torgeir

Hello

Touching something hot with your finger is very subjective.
    - The stepper motors have thermal power. It's the same in summer, of course. Only the resulting temperature at the stepper motors is higher.
    - In summer, you are more sensitive to damp skin.

In winter and autumn I also touch parts with 100 degrees Celsius for a short time. (I often weld aluminum)
    In summer the 80 degrees Celsius of a printing plate already frightens me as if it was 200.
    Only one measurement would be objective.

How well stepper motors can be moved also depends on the gear reduction and the electronic motor drivers.
    The S5 has a higher reduction ratio than the previous models.
    The drivers could be different (I haven't looked).

For reliable statements you should measure the temperature and current consumption.

Everything else is strange.

No offense meant!

Many greetings
    Christian

16 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

Hello

Touching something hot with your finger is very subjective.
    - The stepper motors have thermal power. It's the same in summer, of course. Only the resulting temperature at the stepper motors is higher.
    - In summer, you are more sensitive to damp skin.

In winter and autumn I also touch parts with 100 degrees Celsius for a short time. (I often weld aluminum)
    In summer the 80 degrees Celsius of a printing plate already frightens me as if it was 200.
    Only one measurement would be objective.

How well stepper motors can be moved also depends on the gear reduction and the electronic motor drivers.
    The S5 has a higher reduction ratio than the previous models.
    The drivers could be different (I haven't looked).

For reliable statements you should measure the temperature and current consumption.

Everything else is strange.

No offense meant!

Many greetings
    Christian

I agree that it can be subjective but have no easy way of measuring the temperature on them right now.

I guess I’ll have to get a thermocouple or something but quite frankly I don’t think I should need to babysit a machine like this, especially brand new.

They are hot enough to be disturbing so I feel that does count for something, they are in an air conditioned room so summer Is not THAT much of a factor.

For example on a Prusa I can touch the steppers for any length of time and they just feel warm, the S5 being enclosed I expected somewhat higher temperatures but nothing like what I’m feeling.

I’ll report back when/if I get some measurements but I do feel that the question is still valid, can or can you not put a finger on the steppers while they’ve been running?

I’m just trying to figure out if I should be alarmed enough to start wasting time measuring temps or not.

It's hot right now. It hurts. But the printer has only been running for half an hour. In three hours at 60 degrees, it'll be like a hot plate.That doesn't mean anything. I also work with my hands.

The printer has 26 degrees outside.

temp-11.jpg

30 minutes ago, rmerlo said:

For example on a Prusa I can touch the steppers for any length of time and they just feel warm, the S5 being enclosed I expected somewhat higher temperatures but nothing like what I’m feeling.

It varies.
    Depending on the printer (its driver and software).
    The stepper motors are driven and braked with current. The more current the more heat.
    It is also a difference whether motors are actively braked or just switched currentless.

I hope this helps a little.

4 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

It varies.
    Depending on the printer (its driver and software).
    The stepper motors are driven and braked with current. The more current the more heat.
    It is also a difference whether motors are actively braked or just switched currentless.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks! It does help a lot.

On the braking thing I think most printers actively brake, can’t imagine you can get any sort of repeatability with a belt drive if you switch the current off constantly, I might be wrong though.

I’ll report back if I manage to find one of those ir thermometers somewhere in the factory.

Thanks again.

Okay, great,

I measure the temperature again in 10 hours. The current print job takes about one day.

See you soon

I measured it again. Been printing for about 10 hours.

57,1°C

The printer plate is set to 60°C (for PA).

I can touch the motors. But after 1-2 seconds it becomes uncomfortable.

temp-22.jpg

Hi Folks,

No problem, -it's sure subjective.. 🙂

I've been measuring this temperature a long time ago and found this temperature to be between about (50-70) Deg.C. during "normal" use - printing all the ting from PLA to Nylon with my UM2E+ (-with geared X/Y steppers).

This all will depend of your filament type, printer setting and length of operating time  in order to print your object.

Sometimes we need to close up our printer to make sure that the temperature stay hi and steady, in such situation the stepper motors become very hot and this can lead to lubrication problems in the stepper bearings (grease leak out from the bearings).

But if you need to print "exotic" thermoplastic like peek etc., -an Ultimaker printer is an excellent  individual to use solving such problems. This is true as you can install the X/Y steppers outside the printer and keep it away from this hi temp area inside!

However, this is probably of more interest for special purpose project and experimenters.

Hmm, about mechanical geared steppers there is some interesting issue. When you do this, the need for torque decrease but the need for speed increase. A stepper that is doubling it's speed loose torque as the magnetic field build up take time and this is a constant for iron cores used in here, so as a result the magnetic field strength become to be weaker and weaker as speed increase. So it cannot go as fast as other electric motors.

Anyway, interesting.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text

All clear and dry. I thought it would be done with an explanation at first, too.

I can well understand the -rmerlo- and many others here. That's why I like to measure up a little.

I cannot explain it. The situation of the people is, like my own, difficult to transfer. You have to experience that yourself.

I've been printing many thousands of hours with UM2+ for five years. No problem at all.

But the S5 Pro is unfortunately a different matter.

• Like 1

Update:

I'm getting beetween 65-70 C with an IR thermometer, ambient temperature according to thermostat is 25 C, Printing ABS.

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I  touched it the first time is that I noticed a rattling sound that was not there before, it is fairly noticeable everytime each stepper moves.

If someone has any suggestions let me know.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Edited by rmerlo

Hello Rodrigo

With ABS, the build panel is hotter.
    ABS:85°C (you print that)
    PA: 70°C (I'm printing this now)

Theoretically, the stepper motor for X and Y should have the same temperatures.

A bearing damage on the motor is rare. Stepper motors are built to last forever.

Rattling noise can come from the belts. Most of the time you have abrasion somewhere. Black dust that can be seen somewhere.

The bearings of the printer are unfortunately sensitive. Many make the mistake and lubricate the bearings with WD40 (This is a death sentence for bearings)

I would only use the recommended sewing machine oil for external slideways, not for ball bearings. Otherwise only grease.
    I would listen to the bearings individually.

Wish good luck

Many greetings
    Christian