UM3 first layer rippled

neurospec

Posted · UM3 first layer rippled

Hi!

I’ve seen several forum entries on the same topic but none of them seems to provide a solution. So, I’m trying my luck!

I’m having difficulties getting a nice first layer (see images attached). As you can see, the first layer is rippled and has these strange pouches. I’ve been troubleshooting this for quite a while now and tried the following:

• Tried printing with glue and without
  • Tried printing with the blue tape and without
  • Active levelling, where I set all springs to 5mm height. This showed however the worst results. I’m disappointed and cannot believe that this wouldn’t work.
  • Manual levelling at different heights, using the calibration card, using thicker paper and a thin sticky note. I've even tried adjusting the height of the print bed.
  • Updated the firmware to the latest version (5.2.11.20190503)

My setup is as follows:

• 3D printer: Ultimaker 3 Extended
  • Firmware version: 5.2.11.20190503
  • Print settings: all default settings (60°C print bed temp., 200°C nozzle temp. etc)
  • Filament: Ultimaker PLA silver metallic (2.85mm)
  • Slicer: Cura v. 4.6.2

Can anybody help me with getting the first layer printed nicely?

Thanks, Max

UM3_bottom_layer_rippled_2.jpg

UM3_bottom_layer_rippled_1.jpg

Take the glass off.  Remember which side is up.  Clean it well with liquid soap or detergent and water and some kind of scraper like a putty knife.  Dry it and examine it.  If it's perfect, then do a final cleaning with glass cleaner (meant for cleaning windows).  Do not touch the surface with your greasy fingers (by now they should have interacted a lot with soap and the oils should be gone anyway).

Put the glass back on the printer and start heating it to 60C.

You may be able to print directly on the glass now.  However...

Now ideally you want elmers wood glue.  Or any wood glue.  Mix that 1 part with 10 to 20 parts water (it's not an exact thing).  I like to use a jar with a lid so I can put the lid on and shake it up well.  Use a paint brush to paint this onto the glass.  Wait until it dries (that's one reason to preheat to 60C).  Should take about 2 minutes.

Alternatively you can use fragrance free hair spray to coat the glass (spray with glass outside printer! if you do this).

Alternatively you can use glue stick but sparingly.  And then use wet tissue to remove most of it and to spread it very thin.

I have a video showing these 3 techniques which I think helps a lot to get an idea of how much to use.  7:54 in the video:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot gr5!

So, what helped a lot what to clean the build plate with window cleaner. Removing the grease is crucial for a good print. Thanks a lot!

I also tested both the hairspray and wood glue and both worked ok. Not perfect but ok. The bottom layer still is terrible. However, what I found out is that the filament (Renkforce PLA) is absolutely useless. After testing with Ultimaker PLA, I concluded there's probably no better filament for UM3 than Ultimaker PLA!

Thanks also for the tip on warping. Do you think an enclosure for my UM3 would minimise warping as well?