Under extrusion?

Posted · Under extrusion?

I have tried printing wall section that has window apertures in. The perimeter of the wall and windows is very clean and adhesion is very good. when it comes to the first infill of wall it starts ok but slowly stops extruding and adhesion is lost and it becomes wispy. I have adjusted the feeder tension, unloaded and reloaded material and also changed spools to check material wasn't cause. Am at a loss of why this is happening. Thanks

483AD511-4F62-4CAB-B1F1-35DCBD09DA24.jpg

488657A9-CAFE-4A49-8575-51CCCC2DABE5.jpg

C16CAD22-C78E-4B7C-92F2-9C3C35E72313.jpg

03DDED49-3DC9-420B-8BFE-F624DA496054.jpg

A few things that can help others to help you are:

What are your settings? you can go to file and save and then upload the 3mf file to the post.

Filament type & Brand.

Have you run print core cleaning to check your print core is clean? you can have a part blockage that will then start to limit the flow as it trys to push more out.

Thanks Enigma Ive stripped the feeder and cleaned out the gunk in there, remnants of ground PLA etc. Its a UM5.  One thing I had noticed was on loading PLA it started to curl up around nozzle until cleared then it cleanly extruded. It then printed evenly and cleanly. PLA was an amazons basic in white and Ultimaker in green.

12 hours ago, craigleach1010 said:

Thanks Enigma Ive stripped the feeder and cleaned out the gunk in there, remnants of ground PLA etc. Its a UM5.  One thing I had noticed was on loading PLA it started to curl up around nozzle until cleared then it cleanly extruded. It then printed evenly and cleanly. PLA was an amazons basic in white and Ultimaker in green.

I have tired amazon basic PLA before and had problems with it printing then just doing under extrusion but much more into the print that in your case, each time after it happened i had to do a number of cold pulls on the print core to get any filament to flow right again with that core. 

I ended up having to use my PLA+ settings, 215c for the hot end to keep it printing fine so it might be a quality issue with the brand of filament, that part blocks the core. 

I did think this was an issue and was going to test the Amazon PLA on a Ultimaker 3 which has been printing fine to see if any issues. Im going to complete a hot and cold pull and use Ultimaker filament tomorrow to see if this resolves issue. Only used the amazon basics as its for quite a few draft prints for large model and looking to reduce cost as ultimately going to use Wood PLA. Thanks it does sound like quality issue.

If you have previously printed wooden PLA, this is probably the cause of the problem. For wood-PLA I use 0.6 or 0.8 print nozzles. Because the 0.4 pressure nozzles will quickly clog.

Unfortunately, this is a neglected rule for clogged nozzles. It is often more important to know what you have printed before the nozzles were cloged.

Thanks Ulrich I will bear this in mind when it comes to the wood PLA. I haven't yet tried it yet the S5 has only had PLA through the print head.