Print Area Question

RichL

Posted · Print Area Question

Hi All, I've recently bought a 3d printer (Ender 3) and been using Cura to create the gcode. It works a treat and has been really easy so far but I've run into a snag...

The printer has a 235x235 bed (and has been set correctly in Cura) but won't print larger things. For some things this was solved by removing the need for a skirt for bed adhesion but that hasn't worked for the latest project. To see if it was too close to the edge of the working area I increased the settings for bed size to 240x240 (just to see if it removed the error) but the same problem persists, i've not reverted to the correct settings.

I've had a good look around but can't find an answer, apologies if this is a daft question but any help would be very much appreciated.

I've attached a screenshot of the error as well as the thing i'm trying to print (which confirms it's smaller than the working area).

cura.thumb.png.9aef7317a34f0a4fd7443153e29a0270.png

Thanks very much - that's really helpful. It's definitely the prime blob causing the issues. Only problem now is I can't disable it as the setting is hidden for the Ender 3.

So when you installed cura it created a seperate, local, settings folder with lots of settings in it.  Actually a huge tree of folders with hundreds of files.  On a PC it's in something like %appdata%/cura  On linux something like ".cura" maybe.  No idea about Mac.

Search through those files for ones named "Ender" or "Creality".  One of those represents your printer.  It probably ends with ".json".  You can edit any of these and restart Cura.  You can disable the prime blob in there maybe?

By the way, if you completely delete this tree of folders it's like getting a fresh install of cura and if you restart cura it will recreate them all.

Thanks 🙂 Just checked and there's nothing for 'Ender' on my whole system and I've checked every entry from 'creality' and doesn't include the prime settings. I'm on Linux atm so will find a Windows machine and try that.

Thanks again for help 🙂

There absolutely must be a file somewhere that describes your printer.

So in cura do "help" "show configuration folder".  You looked in the wrong place. Here they are on linux:

/home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/definition_changes/Creality+Ender-3_settings.inst.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/definition_changes/creality_ender3_extruder_0+%232_settings.inst.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/extruders/creality_ender3_extruder_0+%232.extruder.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/machine_instances/Creality+Ender-3.global.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/quality_changes/creality_ender3_draft_%233.inst.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/quality_changes/creality_ender3_extruder_0_%232_draft_%233.inst.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/user/Creality+Ender-3_user.inst.cfg
    /home/geo/.local/share/cura/master/user/creality_ender3_extruder_0+%232_user.inst.cfg

Note that you can delete that whole cura tree and the next time you run cura it will recreate it.

Posted (edited) · Print Area Question
    On 8/17/2020 at 11:46 PM, RichL said:

Thanks very much - that's really helpful. It's definitely the prime blob causing the issues. Only problem now is I can't disable it as the setting is hidden for the Ender 3.

You probably haven't made all options visible... there are many many options...

Scroll to "Buildplate adhesion"... if you don't see the "prime blob" setting, hoover to the "Buildplate adhesion"-bar and there appears a cogwheel... press the cogwheel and search for "blob"...

blob-01.png

blob-02.png

Edited by Mari