Bed position

DeanS

Posted · Bed position

I've been searching but no find yet.  I have the machine settings for 0,0 location at center unchecked and the xyz origin on the screen shows in the left lower corner like it should.

The question is why does the part position when moving the part show 0,0 at the center of the bed still.

When I place the part in the front of the bed it shows a negative Y location and in the center it shows X0. It still prints in the correct place on the printer but it is confusing to have to calculate the correct position from the numbers. Is there any way to correct this or is it just one of those thing we have to put up with?

Thanks

Posted · Bed position

I am new to using Cura but I can't be the only one having this happen can I?  The coordinate symbol is in the lower left but it shows X0,Y0 to be in the center when moving a part on the screen. If that's normal , ok. If it's not I'm doing something wrong.  

Thanks for any help.

Cura.thumb.jpg.483f4601dc25cd32a91e5ec2cc29cff0.jpg

Posted (edited) · Bed position

You have unchecked the "origin at center"... that is normal for most printers (maybe you want to share what brand/type of printer you have)... hotend will position in the left front corner of the buildplate when heating up...

... when you open a STL-file, where does Cura put the object on the buildplate? In the center?  When placed in center, X,Y and Z values will be zero (0)...

When you move the object to the left front corner, X and Y values will change...  I'm afraid everything is OK and that you're confusing some things.

In the future, open the object, choose for save in file... (or press CRTL+S when using windows) and save the 3MF-project file and upload it here... Then we can see what is happening and what your settings are...

1: opened a STL-file, Cura puts it in the center of buildplate...

CuraXYZ-01.png

2: moved object to left front corner...

CuraXYZ-02.png

Edited by Mari

Posted · Bed position

OK, thanks

Wen I open a 3mf file it puts it at the lower left corner and the display reads X-225,Y260 even though the printer is X0,Y0.  I understand that's the way it works and not a problem.

Thanks again

Posted (edited) · Bed position

... what does Cura say when you open the 3FM-file?

Did you create the 3MF-file yourself or did somebody else give it to you?  Try opening a STL-file (lots to download Thingiverse)...

You don't understand the difference between center and origin... forget the values, start printing... and upload your 3MF-file so we can take a look at it...

Edited by Mari

Posted · Bed position
    3 hours ago, DeanS said:

The coordinate symbol is in the lower left but it shows X0,Y0 to be in the center when moving a part on the screen.

Cura places (the center of) the loaded object usually in the center of the buildplate. If you move it, it shows the relative distance to the center.
    There is no relation to the coordinate system of the printer in any way.

In short: that's normal.

Posted · Bed position

Ok that's fine as long as it is normal.

Thank you