Wall thickness around holes

DeanS

Posted · Wall thickness around holes

Hi all. I may have missed it but I haven't yet found the answer. 

If you have cura set for walls to be two rows thick and the actual wall is 6mm thick with a hole vertical in the wall. This puts two rows around the hole. Is there a way to put more rows around the holes to make them stiffer?  

I haven't found a way yet.

Thanks

I haven't played with this much so take a close look at the preview.  I'm going to assume you mean more walls where the "tube" with a hole in it passes through an area of infill.

Put a support blocker over the hole tube.  Scale it and move it until it covers the entire area you want to beef up.  In the Per Model tool there is one for "Modify Settings for Overlaps" and choose Select Settings and then Wall Line Count.

I think something like that is what your looking for.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Wall thickness around holes

Cool.  Thank you thats just what I needed. I didn't know that option was available to modify areas like that. Very useful.

Thanks

Edited by DeanS

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but it's one that I found when considering a way to increase hole strength/dimensional accuracy without increasing filament/print time across a larger volume of infill. Increasing infill helps on both fronts but may waste time and filament in a larger space with few holes. In my situation, "Extra Infill Wall Count" was a good solution. By adding additional wall(s) at the edge of the infill, I got extra walls around the holes. This creates a column of plastic that is solid via attachment to top and bottom layers. I was then able to reduce infill percentage for the rest of the model. It also adds those walls in other areas bordering the infill, but in my case was a good compromise that still saved time and filament.

This is what I usually do. The left hole has one of 5axes cylindrical support blockers configured to "Modify Settings for Overlaps" and 5 walls.  Screw connections do much better with more material for the head of the screw and the nut to put pressure on.  They will still deform over time, but not near as readily.

image.thumb.png.e7751602133ec78d132678cd1882ad0b.png