Non-printable area, followed by printable

Buizel

Posted · Non-printable area, followed by printable

Hello all,

I've decided to fiddle around with Cura today - as I am waiting on an upgrade to my printer that will effectively increase the build plate size. However, for some reason when I change the build volume within Cura to the new dimensions and import a test model, I can see my old printer's build plate in the view with a small gray "unprintable" area within it. This is clashing with my model and making it unable to be sliced. I've tried removing build plate adhesion, setting Travel Avoid Distance to 0, Horizontal Expansion to 0, and keeping Infill wipe distance 0. Can this "non-printable" area be remedied, or would I have to just create a custom printer profile for this to work out?

In.png

Out.png

Changing Buildplate dimensions in Cura do not change disallowed areas... There are more topics on this forum about this subject...

In the folder /resources/defenitions/ you can find a "yourprinter".def.json file you can edit to change the disallowed areas, or maybe you can create a complete new printer (haven't tried this)...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mari said:

Changing Buildplate dimensions in Cura do not change disallowed areas... There are more topics on this forum about this subject...

In the folder /resources/defenitions/ you can find a "yourprinter".def.json file you can edit to change the disallowed areas, or maybe you can create a complete new printer (haven't tried this)...

Yes, that did it for me. I went to that location, removed "machine_disallowed_areas", and re-opened cura. The non-printable areas are gone and I can slice larger models in peace again. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Non-printable area, followed by printable

I am having a similar issue and need help.

i have a custom printer, Core X/Y with a Kraken hot end and the dis allowed ares are all wrong.

the issue is in the custom and or the linked fdmprinter json there is no defined disallowed area to remove.

I am not sure where to look next. the last pic is what it should look like

print area is from x5 to x300 and y0 to y330

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Edited by HtRabbit
    additional info

12 hours ago, HtRabbit said:

the issue is in the custom and or the linked fdmprinter json there is no defined disallowed area to remove

The small frame all around is probably reserved for the brim - take a look at the build plate adhesion method.

The other areas are probably not reachable for all extruders because of defined extruder x/y offsets.

I would disable all extruders but one to check the reachable area (and set correct offsets where needed of course).

If the firmware already takes care about those things, you should set all offsets in Cura to zero. Cura will un-block these areas then.

• Like 1