Cura version 4.7.1 for Mac

FrankCisco

Posted · Cura version 4.7.1 for Mac

There's really not much difference between 4.7.0 and 4.7.1.  4.7.0 makes you click on something at startup the very first time you run cura. A security warning.  You've already done that so now the versions are the same for you.  I'm still on 4.0.0 and it works great.  I have encountered zero bugs.

Anyway, to get help, please be more specific.  Does it fail when you launch Cura or when you install?  What error does it get?  What behavior?  I'm positive that Cura was tested on several Macs before release so the software engineers are going to need a little more information.

I'm not sure if FrankCisco is having the same issue I am, but I can't open the DMG. I get an error telling me there's 'no mountable file system'. I had the same problem the day Cura alerted me of the 4.7.1. I downloaded again today to see if anything had changed.

I'm running this on an older MacBook that's still running El Capitan, so that could be part of the issue, but had no problem with 4.7.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 10.42.56 AM.png

I just tried to download 4.7.1 and opened the dmg file - no problem, works as expected.

image.thumb.png.86f5f2ad233806bd37b56a09344bb9b0.png

But I am on Catalina, but don't think that it makes a big difference.

So, I looked a little bit deeper into the issue. The dmg image has the Apple APFS format, which is not supported in MacOS 10.12 or earlier. So thats your problem @Crowquill.

Version 4.7.0 was in the older HFS format, so thats the reason why it was working for you.

@FrankCisco

Open a Terminal and enter the following command:

hdiutil attach -verbose

hdiutil attach -verbose 

But don't hit enter, type a space after -verbose and drag and drop the downloaded 4.7.1 cura dmg from your download folder to the command line and hit enter.

This is the command line version of mounting a disk image and we can see maybe why it is not working for you. 

@Crowquill

I copied the Cura 4.7.1 application to a zip file, if you want you can download it here:

http://u.pc.cd/wCoctalK

and then just unzip to your application folder.

@Smithy, thanks. Just tried what you proposed. Here's the result

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 21.12.58.png

Another issue (at least with 4.7.0) is that one cannot maximize the window (it remains always over desktop, even when you try to maximize)

Hmmm? not much useful informations 🙂

Do you run your Mac in safe mode? I found an information, that mounting a APFS filesystem is not possible in safe mode, so just asking. But normally nobody runs his Mac in safe mode.....

@Smithy, no safe mode 🙂

Ok, I am looking for other reasons/solutions, give me some minutes.....

Haven't found any useful solutions, can be anything, but I am sure that you are also not able to open any other APFS dmg file. There must be something with your OSX installation, but I don't know what. I found a comment in the apple discussion where a user had the same issue and found out that it was a driver for an external disk drive which was causing the problem.

So in the meantime just use the link above with the zipped Cura application as a workaround.

Sorry for the moment I am out of ideas ....

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Haven't found any useful solutions, can be anything, but I am sure that you are also not able to open any other APFS dmg file. There must be something with your OSX installation, but I don't know what. I found a comment in the apple discussion where a user had the same issue and found out that it was a driver for an external disk drive which was causing the problem.

So in the meantime just use the link above with the zipped Cura application as a workaround.

Sorry for the moment I am out of ideas ....

Thanks a lot for the effort!!! 4.7.0 is working fine so, no worries. One of this days I'll upgrade to Catalina. Maybe it helps.

On the other issue, of not maximising the window, any ideas? Thanks

@Smithy, forget my last question about maximizing. I already found a workaround (instead of using the green icon, I went to the app menu View and chose Full screen 🙂

Thanks

Good workaround 🙂 

I guess it has something to do with the OpenGL version on you OSX, maybe too old. With Catalina it is working as expected.

Or a installed tool (window manager, maximizer, whatever) is causing the issue.

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Good workaround 🙂 

I guess it has something to do with the OpenGL version on you OSX, maybe too old. With Catalina it working as expected.

Or a installed tool (window manager, maximizer, whatever) is causing the issue.

It's the first time this happens. All other programs and Apps I have work just fine. But it is true I need to make a cleanup on the OS 🙂

I also hate to do a fresh clean install, upgrading is so easy with a Mac, but sometimes it is good to go the hard way and start from scratch 🙂 

20 hours ago, FrankCisco said:

It's the first time this happens. All other programs and Apps I have work just fine

Most apps don't use OpenGL.

I am having the exact same problem (no mountable disk image) trying to install 4.7.1 on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.6

Search the internet if you find some advices why you are not able to mount a APFS DMG volume.

The Cura DMG is fine, it is something on your MacOS which prevents you from mounting APFS volumes. Most DMG installation volumes are in HFS format (the older one) thats maybe the reason why it happened not before.

You may be able to mount the diskimage if you install the free APFS Retrofit kit

The download link is a bit hard to find, but it is available here:

http://dl.paragon-software.com/free/Paragon-1218-FRU_MacInstallUnlock_1.0.164.dmg

Thank you for your responses. this is so odd as my "Macintosh HD" is APFS, this is where the DMG is being downloaded and installed to.