Ran out of filament, need help

paxpring

Posted (edited) · Ran out of filament, need help

Hi again! 

I have a question regarding an issue with the UM S5. I started a print yesterday to run overnight, somehow the filament broke and as a result the machine "ran out" of filament. The bed is till at 60 degrees and the nozzle at 30.

I found some existing topics on this issue but people there tell to pause the print and to unload the old and load new filament. I tried to do this but (1) the print job has already automatically been paused and (2) the unload button for the material in question is greyed out. My last resort would have been to pull out the filament manually but unfortunately the nozzle has cooled down to 30. 

I ran out of options.

Edited by paxpring

Posted · Ran out of filament, need help
    7 minutes ago, paxpring said:

Hi again! 

I have a question regarding an issue with the UM S5. I started a print yesterday to run overnight, somehow the filament broke and as a result the machine "ran out" of filament. The bed is till at 60 degrees and the nozzle at 30.

I found some existing topics on this issue but people there tell to pause the print and to unload the old and load new filament. I tried to do this but (1) the print job has already automatically been paused and (2) the unload button for the material in question is greyed out. My last resort would have been to pull out the filament manually but unfortunately the nozzle has cooled down to 30. 

I ran out of options.

Hi,

You don't press the unload button when you have run out of filament, when you run out of filament and the prints auto paused you go to the filament thats run out and press the "change" button to change out the spool.

The unload button is for just removing a spool and not loading a new one for when you are printing and only needing one print core so you can store your other spool somewhere. The load button is for when you wish to load a spool back onto the printer. This is why both the load and unload are greyed out when printing.

When changeing spool always use the "change" button.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Carla_Birch said:

Hi,

You don't press the unload button when you have run out of filament, when you run out of filament and the prints auto paused you go to the filament thats run out and press the "change" button to change out the spool.

The unload button is for just removing a spool and not loading a new one for when you are printing and only needing one print core so you can store your other spool somewhere. The load button is for when you wish to load a spool back onto the printer. This is why both the load and unload are greyed out when printing.

When changeing spool always use the "change" button.

Got it. In my haste I missed the change button. This is the second spool we finished fo far and we have not yet really changed spools so never used the change feature. Thanks for your reply, this issue is resolved and the printer is happily printing again!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

On my S5 it ran out of PLA filament overnight last night. The filament end is in the extruder housing, the bed is still hot. But the screen is totally black and I cannot get it to respond with anything.  The bed has dropped fully down and the head is in the front left corner. What do I do now?  I have tried to load new filament it goes into the extruder housing but won't "clip", and doesn't do anything to resuscitate the screen, 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:11 PM, John-5744 said:

The bed has dropped fully down and the head is in the front left corner.

This is normal.

I have tried to load new filament it goes into the extruder housing but won't "clip", and doesn't do anything to resuscitate the screen, 

So you tried to manually load it and now the lever on the feeder doesn't close correct?

But the screen is totally black and I cannot get it to respond with anything.

This is definitely not normal. I think you had a Ulticontroller (touchscreen) failure at the worst possible time. If the printer doesn't recognize the failure (I.e. it doesn't auto-reboot the Linux board w/o effecting the motion controller) you have to turn the power off to the printer to manually reboot it. This means you have lost the print. 😞

• 2 weeks later...
    On 7/29/2022 at 11:43 AM, 2021coyneo said:

This is normal.

So you tried to manually load it and now the lever on the feeder doesn't close correct?

This is definitely not normal. I think you had a Ulticontroller (touchscreen) failure at the worst possible time. If the printer doesn't recognize the failure (I.e. it doesn't auto-reboot the Linux board w/o effecting the motion controller) you have to turn the power off to the printer to manually reboot it. This means you have lost the print. 😞

I finally disconnected the filament delivery tube at the print head and pulled out the remaining filament, reconnected the tube and loaded the new filament. I left it overnight and in the morning the screen was working again and all is going well.  I couldn't salvage the print though,  Had to restart it.