gcode profile settings

TarliSpace

Posted · gcode profile settings

hello, I tried reading settings from a gcode file a few times but it does not wotk though in a forum thread i found a team member says the issue is fixed.

I tried on cura 4.2 and the creality slicer 4.2.

It types an error message:"print setup disabled. G-code cannot be modified"

I'm using an ender 3 pro and trying to read the settings from the demo g-code files that came with the memory card. Specifically the cat file.

cat-3.5H.gcode

You cannot modify the settings in a gcode file, but you can read the settings that were used to some extent; instead of opening the gcode file in the same way as a 3d model, you can load the gcode file as a profile, on the Profiles pane of the preferences. This will create a new profile with mostly the same settings as the gcode file was created with.

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

You cannot modify the settings in a gcode file, but you can read the settings that were used to some extent; instead of opening the gcode file in the same way as a 3d model, you can load the gcode file as a profile, on the Profiles pane of the preferences. This will create a new profile with mostly the same settings as the gcode file was created with.

i tried this but it said that:image.thumb.png.6a4cf2d6f14fe2b210cd5f6a77eb2980.png

just opened the g-code and found out that it was made with simplify 3d, is there a way to read settings from it without having that software?

I think you misunderstand it a little bit, a gcode file is not a profile you can load in Cura. It is the file after you have sliced your model and ready to print with all the commands the printer needs to print your object.

So it is not possible to extract a profile out of the gcode.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I think you misunderstand it a little bit, a gcode file is not a profile you can load in Cura. It is the file after you have sliced your model and ready to print with all the commands the printer needs to print your object.

So it is not possible to extract a profile out of the gcode.

there are settings in g-code so you can import the but this was made with simplify3d and not cura so i can't

I never tried it, but I think you can also not load a gcode file in S3D and change some settings and reslice it, but not 100% sure.

Simplify3d uses a different syntax for it's gcode "sentences" but careful reading of the first 200 lines of the Cat file will give you enough to manually put a profile together in Cura (.4 nozzle, .4 linewidth, .1 layer hgt, etc).  I think one of the main reasons the print turns out so well is that the model used for the slicing was extremely fine.  I can't produce STL files that nice from my old version of Mechanical Desktop and it's STL converter.

Looking at lines like ";   defaultSpeed,4200 , ;   outlineUnderspeed,0.5" it's apparent that Simplify uses mm/minute and that the outer wall speed was 50% of 4200 (which is 35mm/sec).

Anyway, putting a profile together is tedious but doable.  Getting a fine STL like that to slice is a different story.

• Thanks 1