Ultimaker 2 build plate not lowering sufficiently during print

Posted · Ultimaker 2 build plate not lowering sufficiently during print

Hi all

New Ultimaker user here and first time posting on the forum. Just want to say that this forum has been really useful for me in the last month doing little jobs on the UM2 I have here.

However I've now run in to a problem that I can't find when searching.

I've recently done some maintenance to the machine after a failed overnight job that made a real mess! I've fitted a new olsen block and nozzle (the originals got blocked up with material), changed the tension on the feeder (it had started grinding the filament down instead of feeding) and re-levelled the bed.

Despite all this, when printing (using the same files that I've had previous success with on the same printer) the build plate is not dropping sufficiently for each layer. What ends up happening is the nozzle drags itself through the print, making a squeaking noise, and you end up at the end with a job that is rougher than usual and about 1/3 the correct height! Z switch seems to be working correctly and I've re-levelled the build plate a few times now.

How do I fix this?

Many thanks 

Have you changed also the firmware?

Or just the things you mentioned in your post? 

What happens when you slice a new file?

I left it printing for an hour and when I returned, the build plate was really low AND the head wasn't extruding despite there being material in the clear tubing. So the build plate is moving although not correctly. 

Looks like I have 2 problems to fix!

Yes I think so, the extrusion problem is easier to find, because you have changed a lot there, so I guess you did something wrong with the installation of the olsson block, Bowden or feeder.

But I have no idea why your build plate should have a problem.

Can you post some pictures of the olsson block, front of the print head, feeder....

What about your middle fan in the printhead, is it working when you heat up the nozzle? The fan is at the back.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 build plate not lowering sufficiently during print

Thanks, I will get some pictures.

Note that I followed this guide when the feeder was grinding down filament and it was getting stuck in the bowden tube. 

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011905519

One odd thing that did happen at one stage before the print I mentioned in my last post, was that the nozzle seemed to actually melt part of the bowden tube and went as far as to print a small amount of it! I've no idea what happened but after that I removed the tube from the head, advanced the feeder manually until filament protruded out of the end of the tube and then refitted the tube to the head.

That was just before the print I mentioned in my last post. The beginning of that print went fine and it was only later in the print (when I left the room) when the extrusion stopped. 

Edited by hwphysicstech

The reason for that could be that your middle fan is not working, check it please!

Also check if the feeder tension is again in the middle position.

Thanks for your replies

The feed tensioner is in the middle. I've even moved it to the lowest position, just to test it and I've still had problems with it grinding the filaments. I think I'm going to try and replace the bowden tube as the filament is extremely difficult to remove from the tube, even when the hot end is up to temperature and the feeder has a fresh (unground) filament to grip.

Further inspection of the fans show that the 2 side fans are not working. This is due to warping caused by the excess heat that happened when I first had problems with the machine. I also noticed that the "fan speed" was set to zero. Because I'm a new user (but the machine has been used by other people previously) I'm not sure if the fan speed has always been set to zero or if it is automatically set that way if there's a fault with the fans? If I increase the fan speed I just get a high pitched noise coming from the machine. I'll replace all 3 fans. 

One thing I forgot to mention. I also fitted a new PT100b temperature sensor because the original was damaged. Stupidly I didn't note the exact pins on the motherboard that it plugged in to. When I first connected the new one, the printer gave me an error relating to the sensor. So i moved the sensor along one position on the motherboard and the error message disappeared. I suspect it is now in the correct position but thought I'd mention it just in case. 

16 hours ago, hwphysicstech said:

Further inspection of the fans show that the 2 side fans are not working. This is due to warping caused by the excess heat that happened when I first had problems with the machine. I also noticed that the "fan speed" was set to zero. Because I'm a new user (but the machine has been used by other people previously) I'm not sure if the fan speed has always been set to zero or if it is automatically set that way if there's a fault with the fans? If I increase the fan speed I just get a high pitched noise coming from the machine. I'll replace all 3 fans. 

The two side fans are the cooling fans for the printed part, this is important but it is not the root cause for your problems. The cooling fans are also off for the first layer normally. How much cooling fans you use depends on the material and shape of your model. For PLA you can use 100%, for ABS much less to get a better layer bonding.

16 hours ago, hwphysicstech said:

One thing I forgot to mention. I also fitted a new PT100b temperature sensor because the original was damaged. Stupidly I didn't note the exact pins on the motherboard that it plugged in to. When I first connected the new one, the printer gave me an error relating to the sensor. So i moved the sensor along one position on the motherboard and the error message disappeared. I suspect it is now in the correct position but thought I'd mention it just in case. 

Shock! 😲

So you moved the connector from pin to pin until the error was gone? Probably not good.....

Check this thread and check if everything is connected as it should.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

So you moved the connector from pin to pin until the error was gone? Probably not good.....

Not quite as extreme as that. It threw an error once connected so I assumed I'd put it in the incorrect pin which was next to it. It wasn't an exercise in trial and error, just bad memory and an assumption that the clearing of the error had fixed the problem.

Thanks for the tips on fan speed. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 build plate not lowering sufficiently during print
    3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Shock! 😲

Check this thread and check if everything is connected as it should.

Temp 1 and Temp 3 have connectors fitted. Temp 2 does not. Temp 2 is where I originally connected the PT100b that threw up an error code. Should there be something connected to Temp 2? 

Edited by hwphysicstech

No, the PT100 of the hot end should be connected to Temp 1

Temp 2 is not used.

Temp 3 is for the heated bed.

Can anyone advise if this fan pack fits the UM2+ ?

https://www.makershop3d.com/ultimaker-spare-parts/602-ultimaker-original-fans.html

The website has a mixture of "only compatible with UM original" and "compatible with other models". Bit confusing!

It is too late but your website link says:

Compatible with

Ultimaker 2, Ultimaker 2 Extended, Ultimaker 2 Extended+, Ultimaker 2 Go, Ultimaker 2+

So they should fit and on the picture they look good for me.

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

It is too late but your website link says:

Compatible with

Ultimaker 2, Ultimaker 2 Extended, Ultimaker 2 Extended+, Ultimaker 2 Go, Ultimaker 2+

So they should fit and on the picture they look good for me.

Thanks. I thought the same but the description also says "only compatible with the ultimaker original" which made it a bit confusing. And I've fallen foul of ordering based on a picture before 😄. Thanks for the info. This maintenance kit I've ordered looks to be the better value for the long term anyway!

Hi there,

RS Components is a worldwide company, exists all the places I've been..

And better, -they are an Ultimaker dealer..

I've been using them for many years and they have almost everything in electronics.  🙂

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hwphysicstech said:

This maintenance kit I've ordered looks to be the better value for the long term anyway!

Agreed, you will need the parts in the kit anyway someday 🙂