Why is Cura adding support on top?

mer10

Posted · Why is Cura adding support on top?

Cura (4.7.1) is adding support on the top surface and I can't figure out how to fix this issue. I noticed that this doesn't happen when I set the max overhang angle > 55deg but I'd like to keep it around 45deg.  

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thank you,

Merten

image.thumb.png.b40cb166247c641da2ab29ccf5696427.png

Posted (edited) · Why is Cura adding support on top?

In Cura there is a support choice in the basic tab, you select anywhere if you want the support to be created as part of the model or if you want them to start from the plate and work up, touching build-plate. Then if you click the ... You can edit the help options next to the drop-down button.

If you check the box, most slicing software can generate support automatically. For supports I checked about 3d printer here like how thick, what angle is the threshold for supports to be generated, etc., you can go further than a yes / no. Modelled supports often use less material than made, but it depends on how much you trust your ability vs. the slicer's.

Edited by GabrielLeo

Hi @GabrielLeo, thanks for your reply. I am not clear about what you are suggesting. I need the support placement to be "everywhere" for this setup, with just "touching the buildplate" other parts of the model will fail.  I am just trying to understand why Cura adds support on a top surface when it's not necessary for supporting any structure above. Seems like a bug unless there is some setting I can tune to get rid of that top-support placement? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mer10 said:

Hi @GabrielLeo, thanks for your reply. I am not clear about what you are suggesting. I need the support placement to be "everywhere" for this setup, with just "touching the buildplate" other parts of the model will fail.  I am just trying to understand why Cura adds support on a top surface when it's not necessary for supporting any structure above. Seems like a bug unless there is some setting I can tune to get rid of that top-support placement? 

Did you try to set the Initial Layer Line Width back to 100%?. If you use the Cura 4.6 uninstaller and want to disable the settings, that will only remove the Cura 4.6 settings. If you had previously installed Cura 4.5 and did not want to uninstall the Cura 4.5 settings, those settings would probably have stayed on your system. Cura 4.7 then imports from Cura 4.5 your settings files instead of starting new.

Go to Support-> View configuration folder if you want to start fresh in Cura 4.7 after installing it. Then close Cura, but leave the opened folder open. Delete all the files in that folder, but leave intact the folder itself. So you should have a folder called "4.7" clean. Restart Cura, then.

Hi @DivingDuck, never too late, still trying to understand what the slicer is doing here. I tried disabling the support towers but there is no change. Same unexplainable support material "growth" on the top surface (also with the 4.8 beta, upgraded yesterday because of critical fixes around the 3mf workflow). But thanks for your suggestions... still looking for help with this mystery (or bug?)  

image.png

Hi, this is indeed looking weird. Can you share the project file as attachment?

Hi @mer10, did you ever found i solution? I am having the same problem with cura adding support on top of my print for no reason (As i can see). 

image.thumb.png.edaf58bd3ce1acc6a45a6f58ab6b0d3f.png

13 minutes ago, erfo said:

cura adding support on top of my print for no reason (As i can see). 

Without a project file, neither can we.

Please post a link to a projectfile reproducing this. File -> Save project...