Missing layers at support transition

scambo

Posted · Missing layers at support transition

Hi all,

Could some body please help, I am having a problem with Cura, when printing a part using supports, I am experiencing layer skipping at the transition between support and part.

Printing with a 0.2mm layer height, I have the 'Support Z Distance' set to 1 layer height, ie also 0.2mm, but during printing there is layer skipping on the printed part as if Cura was skipping the entire layer not just the space above the support.

Does any one have any ideas as to why this could be happening as I am at a loss.

Your help will be most gratefully received.

20201019_205705.jpg

Posted · Missing layers at support transition

OK, I think I have found the problem after a lot of head scratching.

I think I have a mechanical problem with my z-axis drive screw, it seems to be binding on the downward part of the prints z-hop, therefore the nozzle not returning its original layer height.

I have proved this by simply disabling z-hopping in Cura and repeating the print, which printed clean as did a following print.

I intend to widen the hole that the drive screw passes through to allow extra freedom of movement.

Thanks to you all anyway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 7 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies