[SOLVED] Where to get Cura Printer Profiles? I have Cura 4.7.1 with U3Ext, but no profiles

ultigs

Posted · [SOLVED] Where to get Cura Printer Profiles? I have Cura 4.7.1 with U3Ext, but no profiles

I can't seem to find out how to show, find and import, or otherwise get access to basic profiles to allow me to quickly switch between doing a fast draft print versus doing a slower high quality print. I can go in and alter settings line by line, but I would prefer to rely on Ultimaker's experience and have the presets they've developed that I swear I used to see years ago. I've uninstalled, re-installed...etc. Help 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.15.06 PM.jpg

Posted · [SOLVED] Where to get Cura Printer Profiles? I have Cura 4.7.1 with U3Ext, but no profiles

Something went wrong. When I add an Ultimaker 3 Extended to Cura, I get the following list of profiles:

image.thumb.png.d01c34719349fd6c9236c477db5ab4fe.png

Can you go to Help -> Show configuration folder and locate the cura.log in the folder that opens? Please upload that file somewhere and post a link here so we can have a look.

6 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Can you go to Help -> Show configuration folder and locate the cura.log in the folder that opens? Please upload that file somewhere and post a link here so we can have a look.

Here's the Cura.log file. This should be "fresh" as I deleted the ~/Library/Application Support/cura directory each time between trying 4.7.1, 4.8, and then going back to 4.7.1, each time re-adding my networked U3E

cura.log

20 minutes ago, nallath said:

Ah. I think I know what's going on. You probably have a BB0.4 nozzle with not PVA in it.

You are indeed correct. I thought it was fine to put PLA in both AA and BB, just NEVER PVA in AA. I'll try unloading the filament and confirming back.

8 minutes ago, ultigs said:

You are indeed correct. I thought it was fine to put PLA in both AA and BB, just NEVER PVA in AA. I'll try unloading the filament and confirming back.

Voila! I unloaded the Black PLA from the second print core (a BB. 0.4 core) and indeed, all the factory profiles show up. Great to have a solution on this, but would prefer (because I'm a delicate little end user) to have the app inform me of this in some way, or if selecting a factory profile, have it confirm that it will NOT use any print cores with unsupported materials in them and list the problem it sees.

But for now, I AM HAPPY! 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.23.19 AM.jpg

It's fine to put it in there (in the sense that Cura doesn't stop you from doing it). But Cura also doesn't have any actual profiles for PLA + BB 0.4

Cura will try to warn you (but maybe not enough). See the screenshot below. The material will become orange and the profile switches to "not supported"

image.thumb.png.d98a2541f49d6ca0f34d5ac389eff3d5.png

You only get so see the orange warning when you open the self-closing configuration thing.

Sidebar GUI plugin mitigates that by showing a warning icon on the extruder tab. Worth stealing for the mainline UI? Shall I make a PR for it?

image.png.635a82528643e3fb0b459ec7aafa7358.png

14 hours ago, ahoeben said:

You only get so see the orange warning when you open the self-closing configuration thing.

Sidebar GUI plugin mitigates that by showing a warning icon on the extruder tab. Worth stealing for the mainline UI? Shall I make a PR for it?

image.png.635a82528643e3fb0b459ec7aafa7358.png

Please do 🙂

Posted (edited) · [SOLVED] Where to get Cura Printer Profiles? I have Cura 4.7.1 with U3Ext, but no profiles
    On 11/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, nallath said:

Please do

Your wish is my command

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/143551/98943729-38492200-24f0-11eb-8399-94fb8297bea0.png

In the example above, the left extruder causes the "Not Supported" state, and the right extruder causes slicing to be outright inhibited because the material and printcore type are not compatible.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Thanks 1