Cura wont slice a re-sized model

navymr

Posted · Cura wont slice a re-sized model

anytime i resize an stl i download from thingiverse and try and resize it on cura then when i slice it i get 0minutes 0g 0.00m ive tried 3 versions of cura even the latest beta why is it doing this? also i have ran it through the autodesk stl repair tool and still get the results. 

thanks

New Bitmap Image.jpg

20x20 is about 37%.  Even with Print Thin Walls turned on it doesn't look good.  On that particular model scaling to 75% is about the bottom end of "Printable" with a .4 nozzle.  At 37% it would print with a .2 nozzle at .2 line width.  Sometimes you have to "scale the nozzle" down to keep things printable.  I think if you tried to print that at 37% scale with "Print thin Walls" on and a .4 nozzle the snot factor of the filament would pull all the hexagons into circles anyway.  There wouldn't be any squish because of the really low flow through the nozzle.

When scaling a model down, fine features start to disappear.  Once a feature width gets below "Line Width" it gets tough to print and even if it does print it will be really weak.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GregValiant said:

20x20 is about 37%.  Even with Print Thin Walls turned on it doesn't look good.  On that particular model scaling to 75% is about the bottom end of "Printable" with a .4 nozzle.  At 37% it would print with a .2 nozzle at .2 line width.  Sometimes you have to "scale the nozzle" down to keep things printable.  I think if you tried to print that at 37% scale with "Print thin Walls" on and a .4 nozzle the snot factor of the filament would pull all the hexagons into circles anyway.  There wouldn't be any squish because of the really low flow through the nozzle.

When scaling a model down, fine features start to disappear.  Once a feature width gets below "Line Width" it gets tough to print and even if it does print it will be really weak.

i greatly appreciate the feedback. i knew i was missing something simple. i will work with the model and see what i come up with. i may need to pick up a smaller nozzle it looks like. 

21 hours ago, nallath said:

That's because the walls are too thin. The walls of the honeycomb are just soo thin that the machine can't print them anymore.

You could try to enable "print thin walls"

thank you very much for helping me. i will adjust a few things and try again.