Feature request: variable number of walls

mark-o-solo

Posted · Feature request: variable number of walls

I would like to request a feature or plugin allowing me to set a variable amount of walls for my print. I have, within the same object, starkly overhanging regions where additional walls are required to close the surface. However, I also have fairly vertical features wherein no more than 2 walls would be necessary.

Is there any simple way to achieve this with the present versions of cura `?

Cheers

I want you to know @Framar that if I would have worked harder in 9th grade typing class I'd have gotten here first.

Yes, you can use "Support Blockers".  Scale them, move them into position, set the "Per Model Settings" and "Modify Settings for Overlaps".  Select the settings you want to alter (not all settings are available but # of walls is).  There is a plugin for cylindrical support blockers if the rectangular ones don't work for you.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried them now but it is not exactly what I need:

When I change the settings for the overlap between my support blocker and the model and I change the number of walls to n, it does not change the total number of walls to n. Instead, it adds n walls to the models existing number of walls.

This is unsatisfactory as I am trying to fill overhanging regions and also trying to get the latter nice and smooth by making the outer walls adhere to the inner walls while relying a miniumum on the support structures to prevent a melted look.

What I am looking for is a setting that would either let me change the overall number of walls or let me adjust the printing order to outside in for all structures per layer, ie: infill -> inner wall -> top skin -> outer wall

"What I am looking for is a setting that would either let me change the overall number of walls or let me adjust the printing order to outside in for all structures per layer, ie: infill -> inner wall -> top skin -> outer wall."

Extra Infill Wall Count?

Infill before Walls?

Outer Wall before Inner Walls?

A possible alternative is to create different Gcode files each with your different settings, and then to manually splice the Gcode files at the layers that you want the changes to take effect.  X and Y usually work out.  The Z and the E locations must be carefully adjusted at the splice points for seamless transition between the previous code section, and the spliced in section.

I count the bytes to a layer or line number in a Gcode file and use M32 to call a second file and then M26 to jump to a byte location in that file from which I want the second file to start printing.  That works very well when the settings in file 1 are grossly dis-similar to the settings used in file 2.  Ex:  Going from a conventional printed base and putting a Vase mode object on it.