How to fill in gaps and holes between infill and perimeters as well as between perimeters themselves?

ultimaker_user

Posted · How to fill in gaps and holes between infill and perimeters as well as between perimeters themselves?

Hi, I have set the "Filter out tiny gaps" on already but I still see those holes and line gaps even at the bottom surface. What other variables and suggested values should I change? Thanks

Posted · How to fill in gaps and holes between infill and perimeters as well as between perimeters themselves?

Those gaps sound like normal underextrusion.  A common problem on 3d printers.  Please show a photo of what you are talking about because even in this case when I think I know exactly what you mean I'm often wrong once someone posts a photo and may be giving you bad advice.

Hi, the bottom of the print looks like the one shown in the Preview. Is there any good way to fill in those gaps and holes to make the bottom looks like solid? It feels solid when I touch it but it does not look solid due to those holes and gaps. Thank you

bottom.JPG.e67d73b5d93e25f09072a04ddf59ce6e.JPG

A photo would be helpful.  The bottom layer is different than all the other layers.  Let's say the bottom layer is 0.3mm thick ("initial layer height" in cura) and you level it "perfectly" meaning if Z=1 then the nozzle is exactly (EXACTLY) 1mm above the bed and if Z=0 the nozzle is just barely touching the bed.  The gcode will set Z=0.3 in this example and start printing the bottom layer extruding exactly the right amount of filament to fill in that 0.3mm thick layer.

That would be bad because you want the bottom layer to squish extra hard such that the part sticks well to the bed.  The most common reason for parts not sticking to the bed is "not enough squish".  So when you level the bed you want approximately Z=0.1 (or Z=0.2 even) to be just barely touching the bed.  This would be an excellent amount of squish as a bonus you should have very little gaps (there's always going to be gaps if you check with a microscope).

So I don't know if you are talking about gaps that are:

1) Impossible to fill

2) Horribly huge due to bad levelling

3) Something wrong with Cura (least likely)

Without a picture I don't know which the answers.

I guess there are two issues. In these two photos taken from the base of the prints, there are gaps and holes between the lines and perimeters. You can see it clearly from the Preview screenshot. 

In the bottom photo, some kind of visible irregular artifacts on it to ruin the lines. 

Can I make the bottom of the print solid so I don't see these lines, gaps and artifacts? 

1.thumb.png.cd717151a31a78146147b119e1639f62.png

2.thumb.png.27ec835a643b388b56289257f116b4d1.png

The preview screenshot doesn't perfectly show reality.  On purpose.  So you can see the paths.  It shows what your part would look like if it underextruded a bit.  Your upper photo of the bottom of your white part is about as good as you can get it.  I think that's the best you can get with FFF printing.

The lower photo - that looks more serious.  I'm not sure what is going on there - it looks like we are seeing the second layer?  Is this a view from the bottom of the print also?  If so then I feel like we are seeing the second layer maybe in the corner?  I guess I need to see what the first layer looks like by itself?  I can't tell what is going on here.

Posted (edited) · How to fill in gaps and holes between infill and perimeters as well as between perimeters themselves?

They are neighboring parts of the same print. Viewed from the bottom.

Edited by ultimaker_user

That doesn't help.  Are they on the same layer?  How many layers apart?  Did you use support or did this just print in mid-air?  Maybe show from another angle?

Are we looking at 3 different levels/layers?

Posted (edited) · How to fill in gaps and holes between infill and perimeters as well as between perimeters themselves?

Once the print job finished, I took the object off the plate and took a photo of the bottom. The photos were parts of that surface. 

Edited by ultimaker_user

Yeah - I still don't know what I am seeing.  I can't think of any scenario to create that photo.  I need to see it from other angles.  Maybe see it in PREVIEW screen shot also.  Sometimes a photo is worth a thousand words but this time it's just a confusing picture of something that doesn't make sense.  Something I haven't seen before in 3d printing.