Support material didn't print correctly

Nicko_Airbus

Posted · Support material didn't print correctly

Hey guys, I printed parts that need really good tolerancing (+/-0.005 inch) and unfortunately my first try didn't really work out. Can someone help me understand these poor results. 

Questions :

(Blue arrow) Why my support didn't rise to the top of my parts ? it looks like it stopped half way even tough cura generated support all along the height of the part.

(Black arrow) Why are there support filaments all over the place ?

(Red arrow) Why is the quality of the print so bad along the edge of the two parts.

I'm printing Nylon, with zig zag shaped support...

image.thumb.png.bce4a6f88842b5bf2729b42ca4a5817e.png

image.thumb.png.13d5768fb2e5916f0072e8de849ea614.png

PXL_20201202_132100888.jpg

PXL_20201202_132105531.jpg

PXL_20201202_132110807.jpg

For lack of a better term, your support seems to be very ratty all around. Have you made a really good cold pull to make sure your nozzle is not clogging up a bit? It looks as if all your support stopped at the same layer and a lot of missing-ish places along the support.

What slicer version are you using and I am assuming that is an Ultimaker printer?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

For lack of a better term, your support seems to be very ratty all around. Have you made a really good cold pull to make sure your nozzle is not clogging up a bit? It looks as if all your support stopped at the same layer and a lot of missing-ish places along the support.

What slicer version are you using and I am assuming that is an Ultimaker printer?

I'm not sure this is because the nozzle is clogged up. I did another print right after this one and things went better.

I'm using an ultimkaer S5 Pro Bundle. I use Cura 4.8.0

25 minutes ago, Nicko_Airbus said:

I'm not sure this is because the nozzle is clogged up. I did another print right after this one and things went better.

Huh...Well, it is good to have a cold pull just to be sure 😉. I have an S5 (early beta machine) and I do notice that if the fan is not running properly (maybe dirty or whatnot) it will do that. So, if the print you did afterwards did not take as much time, it may not have been enough time for it to heat up and create issues. Note that this is not the same as a clogged nozzle. Just bad heat creep that mucks things up. At least that is what I surmise about the fan/heating issue I have seen.

I also am still on 4.4 (just got internet after about 8 months now and slowly knocking out things to update)So, I have no idea about the issues after version 4.4.

• Like 1

Also note: For some reason that I cannot explain, I do get a bit of what I call PVA dandruff, but not a compromised support. I also do not use the priming tower when printing. That may be why I get the dandruff 🙂

15 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Also note: For some reason that I cannot explain, I do get a bit of what I call PVA dandruff, but not a compromised support. I also do not use the priming tower when printing. That may be why I get the dandruff 🙂

But what are the side effects of not using a prime tower ? Doesn't this affect the quality of your printed part ?

Posted (edited) · Support material didn't print correctly
    35 minutes ago, Nicko_Airbus said:

But what are the side effects of not using a prime tower ? Doesn't this affect the quality of your printed part ?

Not that I notice. What the lack of a priming tower means for me is a lot less time and loss of very expensive PVA material. I will be posting prints soon so you can see what is going on with my prints. I am just a bit slow these days. When I post, I can tag you if you want. That way you can see 🙂

But, if you want to see an old print, here is a view of earlier work...

Edited by kmanstudios

22 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Not that I notice. What the lack of a priming tower means for me is a lot less time and loss of very expensive PVA material. I will be posting prints soon so you can see what is going on with my prints. I am just a bit slow these days. When I post, I can tag you if you want. That way you can see 🙂

But, if you want to see an old print, here is a view of earlier work...

Yes thanks a lot kmanstudios. Yes please tag me ! 

Will do 🙂