Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
nick-foley

Useful features when printing multiple objects!

I wish I could:

Disable the auto-nesting buffer that gets used when placing multiple objects on the build platform (no matter how small I set my printhead settings, objects still can't get very close to each other without everything getting auto-adjusted)

Right click on each separate body on the build platform and turn support on/off for that body only. (Also, object-level slicing settings would be sweet, but I won't hold my breath for that).

Both of these features would make it easier to pack a bed full of parts, start the print, walk away for a few dozen hours, and return to finished glory.

Wishlist for Christmas? :smile:

Which Cura version are you actually referring to? I have the impression Cura 13.12-test allows for very small distances between objects (as long as the gantry height is set to zero).

EDIT: Ok, after having tried it again with Cura 13.12-test I have to agree: the manual placement still is delicate...

The 13.12-test version indeed allows tighter packing, but it does so by sort of putting an elastic band around the 3D model. This is an optimization, if you want tighter then that you'll have to do it in a proper 3D package. (Or disable the "pushFree" function in Util/ObjectScene.py)

Object-level settings are actually supported by the slicer on "one at a time" object printing, but not in the GUI.