Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Badly printing layers

mugle

Posted · Badly printing layers

I am having a terrible time getting the top layer of shelves of my prints to print nice. As you can see in the pictures it even shows in preview mode in cura where it is going to print badly with no shell covering the shelf part of the model. Anybody know why this is happening? I know it has got to be some setting I am missing?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 2.09.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 2.11.02 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Badly printing layers

Unfortunate this is somewhat unavoidable with FDM 3d printers. Because they do not truly print in all 3 directions simultaneously but rather stacks layers of extruded filament in a 2d plane, object orientation is everything. So you could try rotating it 90 degrees to lay it flat but then you use a lot more support, although the print should be stronger in that orientation. The easiest fix here is to reduce you layer height as much as possible and then just do a little bit of post processing. You could also try enabling ironing in cura but in my experience this makes very little if any difference. 

Posted (edited) · Badly printing layers

Never mind......@jman15x is correct. The colours played with my eyes a bit at first, but yeah, you just have a stair stepping issue as described above.

Edited by kmanstudios