If you have access to Solidworks, the easiest way is to edit the original SLDPRT. You can create a revolved profile to fill the hole, for example.

For editing the stl, you'd need a second stl with the shape of the conic hole you want to plug, and a program that can combine (boolean addition) both stls. MeshLab can combine stls, but can't create your 'plug'. Blender can do both, but is more complex.

With Blender you can also manually edit the mesh, but I guess this is a bit advanced.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Fill help

Nice model 🙂 i hope the content is not confidential or such...

The stl-file contains a composition of 250 separate objects (just in case this was not intended).
It seems like every screw and every "tooth" is a separate solid.

Which part is to be considered as the "lower part"? The part with the screw thread?
What about the three connected "channels"? Do you want to remove those as well?

Those kind of modifications can going to be quite hard if you only have the stl file...

image.thumb.png.35f8e4951c355f532e63bc6b9c4341e3.png

Edited by tinkergnome

I downloaded it off another site so I would assume it's not confidential.  I didn't design it but I have the SLDPRT, I assume that Solidworks is not free.  The threaded part is the bottom, I would like to plug it probably up to the top of the threads so I can scale it down and then put an eyelet or something in to make a keychain out of it.

12 hours ago, Captainboyer3 said:

I would like to plug it probably up to the top of the threads so I can scale it down and then put an eyelet or something in to make a keychain out of it.

You started this topic in the Cura section, so the first answer is: you can't do this with Cura. Cura is not a CAD program.

I think there is no quick and easy way. The solution is to pick a CAD program of your choice and learn how to use it.

Some were mentioned before:

• Blender is designed to work directly with meshes (like stl files), but better suited for visualization than for 3D printing
    • FreeCAD can import and export stl files
    • Fusion360 is free as well (for personal use)

There are plenty of free tutorials for all three of them.

If you're only interested in this single part and modification, i would ask a moderator to move this request to another section (like https://community.ultimaker.com/forum/119-design-for-additive-manufacturing/),

to get more attention ('cause it's not a Cura question after all).

I moved this thread as suggested.

I recommend you use meshmixer.  It's pretty easy to use, well documented, lots of videos (all of the above have lots of videos and tutorials) and it's designed to do rough edits of existing STL files that other people created.  It's will easily combine the multiple solids into one.  And you can do minor edits.  But it's not a CAD program exactly.  Blender is the hardest to learn of the ones above and does so much more - it's good for things like making animations or beautiful renderings.

TBH: I never found my way in meshmixer. I guess, i simply can't get the concept. Blender is easier to learn... 🙂

Here's a version with closed bottom (and all duplicate vertices merged together): TriconeDrillBit_closed_bottom.zip

image.thumb.png.61e90ad47b763961e0ac1fa08e023e64.png

• Like 1