Can I set Ultimaker 2+ printing temperature in Cura?

friedl_basson

Posted · Can I set Ultimaker 2+ printing temperature in Cura?

Hi - 

I have read through a couple of posts on this topic, but as most of them are quite dated, I am not sure whether anything has changed.  For the first time I tried printing with a 0.8mm nozzle and decided to fiddle with the printing temperature while printing to try and alleviate some of the "cotton candy" stringing I have been experiencing lately.

To my surprise I noticed the Nozzle Temp was printing at a staggering 240C as apposed to the 205 set in Cura.  After some reading, it seems the Printer G-Code setting needs to be changed to ReRap in Cura away from the Default (which in my case is Ultimaker2).  This now also begs the question, does any of the settings in Cura get applied to the printer at all, ot does everything have to be set on the machine.

Is this still the case?  In contradiction to one of the posts,  the material selected on my Printer is PLA... So I cannot see a reason (even though not adhering to the settings in Cura) why the machine would be printing at 240C with PLA loaded.

I would appreciate the help.  

Kind Regards, Friedl.

8 hours ago, friedl_basson said:

To my surprise I noticed the Nozzle Temp was printing at a staggering 240C as apposed to the 205 set in Cura.

It should not be possible to set a temperature in Cura if the GCode-flavor is set to "Ultimaker 2". Which Cura version are you using?

If you set it to "Marlin" (the first entry of the list) the hidden settings for temperatures and retractions become visible.

BTW: The printer presents a warning if you start such gcode files. That means that the material settings on the printer are not used for this print. Since this is your intention - choose "continue".

9 hours ago, friedl_basson said:

I cannot see a reason (even though not adhering to the settings in Cura) why the machine would be printing at 240C with PLA loaded

240C is indeed the firmware default for PLA and 0.8 and 1mm nozzles. Source:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_material.cpp#L1136

This can be customized in the printers material settings.

Hi @tinkergnome

Thank you for your response!

On 1/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, tinkergnome said:

It should not be possible to set a temperature in Cura if the GCode-flavor is set to "Ultimaker 2". Which Cura version are you using?

I checked, am most definitely using the Ultimaker GCode at this moment.   The Cura version is 4.8.0

I should have been more clear, I can stipulate the printing temperature when setting up the material in the "Manage Materials" sections.  See attached.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, tinkergnome said:

40C is indeed the firmware default for PLA and 0.8 and 1mm nozzles. Source:

I will look into this, I have 0.4mm installed and would like to reduce temperature to ±205C for PLA I am using as apposed to manually "Tuning" it with every print.

Thanks again.  

Friedl. 

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 11.11.56.png

1 hour ago, friedl_basson said:

I can stipulate the printing temperature when setting up the material in the "Manage Materials" sections.

I see. These material settings are indeed not used at all for "Ultimaker 2" gcode flavor (and form only a "base-line" that is overridden by most of the profiles anyway...)

1 hour ago, friedl_basson said:

I have 0.4mm installed and would like to reduce temperature to ±205C for PLA

Yep, change it on the printer (i think the menu entry is called "customize" (somewhere in the material settings).

Or change the GCode-flavor in Cura to "Marlin". The latter gives you access to the material settings in the print profile and the start-/end-scripts as well. And the settings on the printer are not used anymore.

Make your choice! 🙂

• Thanks 1

HI @tinkergnome - 

Thank you for clarifying 🙂  I have been thinking about changing the Firmware, but as I am still quite new to this, I suppose it is better to stick with the UM firmware.

Hoping to upgrade to the 3S soon, I can really use the dual extrusion function with the type of parts I print.  Especially soluble support.  Just a bit out of my price range at the moment mainly due to the very weak performance of our currency vs US$.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Friedl. 

• Thanks 1