Distance between infill and border (Skeinpypy)

dignit

Posted · Distance between infill and border (Skeinpypy)

Hello everyone,

I am having troubles printing a very simple model with Skeinpypy + PrintRun.

Between the infill and the border there is a gap. But only at certain borders situations as can be seen in the picture. It also seems like the Ultimaker knows what it's doing so it's not a problem of getting the filament where it should go.

In Skeinpypy I am using the standard settings and the trajectories look fine in the preview of the GCode and in PrintRun.

Other models like the 20mm test-cube for example work fine, no gap at all.

I hope anyone has a clue what this glitch is all about.

Thank you

Looks a lot like the belt tension problem I had. Make sure the large belts are at proper tension, and the motors are pushed down so the small belts are tight.

Also make sure the pullies are firmly attached to the rods.

Amusing, I've been reading through the forums getting prepped for the arrival of my first Ultimaker. I've been involved in 3D Printing for years now, have a reprap, an up, and a BFB 3D Touch, as well as access to a couple makerbot machines. And I've seen several people on these forums now posting pics of issues that look EXACTLY like backlash problems ;)

First I would check belt tension, as that would contribute to backlash significantly. But if that doesn't help or only reduces it some, then if your using skeinforge (or something with a "Lash" plugin) assuming left to right in that image is X axis, you can set the X backlash to what looks like about .8mm from that photo and Y to .5mm I would guess. See if that closes those gaps.

Alright,

thanks for your replies. I will check the belt tension when I'm back home. But what if I discover that the belts are not tight enough. For the motor belts I can move the motors, but is there any way of tightening the large belts except for those belt tensioners?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10034

Thanks

Matthias

The tensioner Daid posted does work, for a while. Mine started warping quite quickly and lost their springiness. The ones I've linked to below are superior IMHO. They're naturally a bit more finicky to get installed but they will stay consistent.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17058

I have a bit of the problem you've mentioned as well but it did improve with better tension (still haven't got rid of it completely though).

I didn't suggest lash as a full solution, mostly as a "closing the gap" solution (once you've tried belt tension and so on). Backlash can also be caused by loose pulleys, or too fast movement (too much inertia in the head). Or poorly meshed pulley/belt.

Because of the double-belt driven approach on Ultimaker you may need to check the smaller belt from the motor for backlash as well.

If you check all that and it's tuned and the problem still exists to some degree, the lash plugin can compensate for the rest of the issue in software (and does a fair job of it).

Hi everyone,

so I checked the belt tension and tightened the long axis belts. That didn't close the gap so I checked the motor belts, tightened them and BOOM -> perfect results :-)

In case you are curious what I was printing, I needed a webcam mount for my new screen. The border of the screen is too thick for the Webcam to grab it. On the picture you can see the result.

Thank you very much for your fast answers!

Matthias

so I checked the belt tension and tightened the long axis belts. That didn't close the gap so I checked the motor belts, tightened them and BOOM -> perfect results :-)

Nice!

On my batch-1 machine, the bolts on the motors didn't grab really well. A few heating/cooling cycles (on the old motors, which got pretty hot) and the short belts would end up getting loose again. A couple washers on each bolt (on the outside of the machine) fixed that up and I haven't had that problem since.

Nice!

On my batch-1 machine, the bolts on the motors didn't grab really well. A few heating/cooling cycles (on the old motors, which got pretty hot) and the short belts would end up getting loose again. A couple washers on each bolt (on the outside of the machine) fixed that up and I haven't had that problem since.

I think those washers are default now.